Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys-

I am putting my Christmas list together and I want to put a motorcycle jacket on it. Heres the deal, I ordered a 4x from leatherup and it was too small. I am 340 pounds and 6'2 with a large frame. Normally I am 2X.. sometimes 3X in normal clothes.

I am looking for a great winter coat with a zip out liner that I can use in the summer as well. Of course one with some great protection.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Jay

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
I think there are several threads on jackets in "Equipment"..(where this post should have been placed..;) )

If I remember correctly, finding models in the Xtra-Xtra large sizes is the problem.

Oddly...lol... Harley shops seem to carry the larger sizes more than the Metric stores. I'd try them before going online....as diffrent makers seem to be sized different than tbe advertised numbers.

You could start just doing a search for "3XX motorcycle jacket" and see what turns up.

I have the opposite problem, finding ones that fit my elf-sized frame.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your right. I should have posted under equipment. I have however searched through the forum for jackets and I found alot of good direction and advice. What I didn't find that I was looking for was someone around my frame size that has had success with a specific brand and size do I didn't keep ordering jackets that didn't fit.

Thanks for the info regardding the harley stores. That's great advice. I have one locally I just never went in because I figured the prices would be sky high. I appreciate it and I think I'll stop in in Monday.

Thanks knifemaker.

Jay

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I'm 6' 220, and wear an XXL in pretty much everything. I have never found one jacket that will work in both mildly cold weather and freezing weather, so I have 2. One is a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 mesh jacket with a zip out liner that works fairly well down to about 50 degreesF. Below that it's not enough. For colder temps I have an old but not very worn CHP leather jacket. I bought it used. It weighs about 50 pounds, but can be used in pretty much any temp you could ride in. I also have a complete snowmobile suit I bought used.

The problem is, all of these things are VERY heavy and very bulky, and there is no room to carry them on the bike. I often start off riding down in the Phoenix valley, with very moderate temperatures, then ride up into the mountains where it gets into the 30s. Since it is impossible to take 2 outfits, I have to wear the heaviest one I'll need, even though it is too much for the first and last parts of the ride.

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
You did not say what your price range was, or if you prefer leather...

I have a Fieldsheer Aviator jacket, which works well in temps from 50 down to freezing...it's the warmest one I own and I have ALOT of bike jackets.

Bad news is they dont make this model any more. But the good news the "replacement" jacket they carry is basically the same, and does come in larger sizes..(up to 4X) they do have a sizing chart on their page, so you can tell what would work for you. They seem to run a bit small to me, so I'd say go bigger rather than smaller..if you can, as this leaves room for more layers under the jacket when it gets cold:
http://www.fieldsheer.com/site2010/ff/productspage/aquatourjacket.htm

Here's where to buy:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/22228/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Aqua-Tour-Jacket.aspx

The Aquatour has good rating, good armor and is priced well for what you get.

KM

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

I have a Fieldsheer Aviator jacket, which works well in temps from 50 down to freezing...it's the warmest one I own and I have ALOT of bike jackets.

Bad news is they dont make this model any more. But the good news the "replacement" jacket they carry is basically the same, and does come in larger sizes..(up to 4X) they do have a sizing chart on their page, so you can tell what would work for you. They seem to run a bit small to me, so I'd say go bigger rather than smaller..if you can, as this leaves room for more layers under the jacket when it gets cold:

Here's where to buy:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/22228/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Aqua-Tour-Jacket.aspx

KM
I like the looks of that Aquatour jacket in that link and it appears they are sized more true to street clothes sizes.that being said be sure to check each brand you look at sizing chart,there is a big difference from brand to brand,measure twice order once.

If price is a concern try leatherup.com,being a big old boy myself I can tell you from experience that you will wear a 5xl in the Exelement brand and your choices will be somewhat limited in the size range you are looking for.They are having a sale right now and I saw a couple of nice Leather Jackets and some of the Textile Jackets as well.Like Jerry I have one of each.But I have gotten really good service and quality products far better than the price range suggests.read the reviews and when n doubt order one size up,here is a link ,see if any thing pushes your buttons.:)
http://www.leatherup.com/l/Motorcycle-Jackets/11.html

I have bought 2 jackets and a pair of overpants from them and have been very pleased with them.

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
Denny... If you read the original post of this thread you will see the OP had already bought a jacket through leatherup.

I took it to mean he was returning the jacket and was looking for alternatives to shopping there.

You might want to delete your double post BTW...

I don't think there are any good "four season" jackets. The Aquatour will be fine for three, but as a summer jacket you can't beat a full mesh jacket.... So I agree you need at least two jackets.

I used to be a "leather guy" but have converted to the world of textile gear...

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Denny... If you read the original post of this thread you will see the OP had already bought a jacket through leatherup.

I took it to mean he was returning the jacket and was looking for alternatives to shopping there.

You might want to delete your double post BTW...

I don't think there are any good "four season" jackets. The Aquatour will be fine for three, but as a summer jacket you can't beat a full mesh jacket.... So I agree you need at least two jackets.

I used to be a "leather guy" but have converted to the world of textile gear...
Thanks for the heads up on the double post ,I don't know how that happened went in to edit and ended up double,

I understand about the original post ,I was pointing out the size differences and thought he would return it and could save some bucks. As for leather vs fabric, I own both and each has it's good and bad points.I like both,for different reasons.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Here's where to buy:

KM
That looks pretty nice... It has some really good reviews attached to it as well. Thanks for the advice.. I don't really have a "price range" but I am always looking for a deal... I am with you on the leather thing.. I used to like it but find myself moving towards the textile/mesh apparel. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the looks of that Aquatour jacket in that link and it appears they are sized more true to street clothes sizes.that being said be sure to check each brand you look at sizing chart,there is a big difference from brand to brand,measure twice order once.

If price is a concern try leatherup.com,being a big old boy myself I can tell you from experience that you will wear a 5xl in the Exelement brand and your choices will be somewhat limited in the size range you are looking for.They are having a sale right now and I saw a couple of nice Leather Jackets and some of the Textile Jackets as well.Like Jerry I have one of each.But I have gotten really good service and quality products far better than the price range suggests.read the reviews and when n doubt order one size up,here is a link ,see if any thing pushes your buttons.:)
http://www.leatherup.com/l/Motorcycle-Jackets/11.html

I have bought 2 jackets and a pair of overpants from them and have been very pleased with them.
Denny6006-

I have gotten a few things on Leatherup.com as well already. Its definitely a great site with some great deals. When I bought my Jacket from them it was a 4X Xelement and it didn't even come close. I am a big guy but I'm not that damn big.. So I was hesitant on even trying a 5x or 6x... I guess thats why I posted her so some guys my size could direct me to what has worked for them.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in. Much appreciated!

Jay

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
Well as you may have gathered... I solved my "hope it fits" concerns by simply not buying such gear online. (gee what did we do before there were online stores? LOL)

Luckily I live near a big city , St. Louis, so there are quite alot of large motorcycle dealers that sell gear. For those that don't have such shops near, I still think it's worth taking a trip to one if you want a good fit. This is especially true if you are buying a helmet.....but also if you have the need for any gear and have had trouble finding a good fit.

That's why I mentioned Harley dealers... They do sell good stuff and you can find them everywhere;) but don't rule out metric dealers. A few phone calls can help you locate a dealer that carries a good stock of riding gear, or one that knows where you could find what your after.

If they don't carry anything you particulary like, you might at least get a knowledge of a few makers sizing brackets, so you can order their gear online with more confidence.
(I had a friend who liked one of my jackets, but the store no longer had any. As he knew that mine fit him perfect, he just ordered the same size online)

Out of all the gear I own, I have always been impressed with Fieldsheers stuff. Well made, thought out, comfortable, and a good value. That is why I reccomended them. Some of the Chinense gear sold online might be OK... But we are not just talking fashion here, this stuff is covering you azz if you crash. So here I think you get what you pay for, and if you want the best you will pay more.

And if you do want the best I highly reccomend Motoport gear..

http://www.motoport.com/

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Always read the site reviews when shopping online. Every review I read of leatherup said, "order one size bigger than you are, their stuff runs small." I'm a mediun and ordered a large and the jacket fit perfect. One size up from your usual should work for you.

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
Always read the site reviews when shopping online. Every review I read of leatherup said, "order one size bigger than you are, their stuff runs small." I'm a mediun and ordered a large and the jacket fit perfect. One size up from your usual should work for you.
The OP here did. He said he normally wears a 2x or 3x but ordered a 4x and it was still too small.

Could have been miss labeled of course, not many Chinese read English ...:)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm not sure what it is with the large sizes at Leatherup. I'm 320 and had the same experience. Maybe they can't find any Chinese guys to model them?!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure what it is with the large sizes at Leatherup. I'm 320 and had the same experience. Maybe they can't find any Chinese guys to model them?!
Thank God I'm not the only one!

What did you end up doing for a Jacket Joem?

Jay

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

Jay
I am around five-seven and hover around 300lbs,I looked at the size chart and used a tape measure and measured my chest and found out what we call 3x according to their size charts was a 5x to them ,I wear a 54 chest in a sport coat and size 44 pants, added the one size up and looked to see what corresponded to that on their size chart and it fits well.

What you wear in street clothes doesn't come close to fitting,I wear a 2x or 3x shirt .You need to click on the size chart and read carefully how they size them and it does vary from brand to brand,I am a big boy and I have got two right using this method.I ordered the first one too small and thought "Who are sizing these things,Pygmies?".

I went back and read the chart and got it right .I have since concluded they use the same people to size these clothes that do the weight rating on boats.You Know the "4 persons or 290 lbs",people.

I would rather try on what I buy first,but I can't find any thing in any of the bike shops that fits me unless it is one of those Marlon Brando looking jackets from "The Wild Bunch" which they generally want about three prices for,Maybe the other fat guys beat me there,I don't know.

I know where you're coming from,been there done that and learned from it.Good luck.:smiley_th

·
Registered
659 Posts

Jay
I sent back the one I ordered from them and bought one (for a bit more $$) from the local Yamaha shop. It's OK, but not perfect. Certainly not the selection since it was the only one in my size in town.

I looked at our local Harley shop, but I didn't see any leather or even much else in the store that wasn't branded. They had some really nice coats, but I don't need Harley Davidson written across my back, down the sleeves and everywhere else.

(Man, they did have a bad assed customized wide glide with a solo seat, blue ghost flame paint job and chrome wheels that I was droolin' over, but $25000 ain't ever going to happen!)

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
That's the only problem/bonus? If buying anything at a Harley shop....EVERYTHING has their logo and name on it. They do sell some decent gear, but if you don't like advertising a bit for them, you best just stay away...lol.

My wife has a pair of HD boots, (that we oddly did not buy at the Harley dealer) that are quite nice. Her brother has a customized Dynaglide, so sometimes we buy him gifts at the HD shop.

Some Motorcycle rag did a comparison of nylon denier jackets awhile back, and only two companies used the reccomended 800 denier... BMW and Harley Davidson. Most of the textile gear on the market is not bad, per say, but could be alot better.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
My experience, being an XXL who is far too close to needing XXXL, Cortech, Fieldsheer and Teknic run small in jackets. Joe Rocket is good for close to true sizing. I got my XXL and had room in there for the zip out liner until I got bigger.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts