Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear Vulcan Friends,

I met a DAAP student (College of Design, Architecture, Art, & Planning) at the University of Cincinnati who is working on a unique design for a motorcycle helmet as a part of her coursework. It would be awesome if a bunch of riders from this site responded to her brief survey (see link below) ~ it doesn't take much time at all to complete. Two things: 1) she wants you to be brutally honest in your answers, and 2) she is not a rider herself (which will probably be apparent to you as you look through the 3 design options).

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CB52TW3

Thanks!

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Done. Nice of you to accommodate a student. They're the future of America.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Whats with all the vents? Is your helmet that hot?

My dream helmet would have no vents, but a built in air conditioner, with electochromic visors, a heads up display for the rear facing camera, and have an inflatable neck roll that deploys prior to impact.

KM

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
took it, glad I could help

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
done

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Done, but she may tire of my novel in the comments box! lol

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
done.

I have a feeling the "make, model" box is going to be slightly skewed toward "Kawasaki Vulcan 750"

BTW, any idea on the project's 'rules' or guidelines? If you assume that any design could be safely made, then she should really break out of the box on the of the style aspect!

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Whats with all the vents? Is your helmet that hot?

My dream helmet would have no vents, but a built in air conditioner, with electochromic visors, a heads up display for the rear facing camera, and have an inflatable neck roll that deploys prior to impact.

KM
All you gotta do is come up with a prototype. I'm sure it won't be cheap, but you'll find a market for it.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW, any idea on the project's 'rules' or guidelines? If you assume that any design could be safely made, then she should really break out of the box on the of the style aspect!
First of all, thanks to everyone who took (and will take) the survey! Any small thing we can do to encourage the American student to learn and innovate is a very good thing!

When the student interviewed me I learned that her class had been given an assignment to design some kind of protective headgear. It could have been a military helmet, a hard hat for a construction worker, a football helmet, etc. etc. etc. She chose to design a motorcycle helmet, even though she didn't have personal experience to draw on. Hence the survey!

·
Rogue Warrior
130 Posts
Done. Interesting survey. Glad I could help.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
done last night

·
Registered
659 Posts
Done.

And, yes, full face helmets are hot. I have a well-ventellated Shoei, but over 85 or 90 degrees and I'm sweatin' in it.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
done... During the summer my face shield is always raised... Bought a half helmet a month or two ago.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Done.

And, yes, full face helmets are hot. I have a well-ventellated Shoei, but over 85 or 90 degrees and I'm sweatin' in it.
First off, what color is it?

Secondly, is this while moving or while sitting in traffic?

My Shoei (RF1000) is vented too, and is not so bad when I am moving...but does clam up at stop lights.

My next question would be what use are more vents in the back if you do not have the same area of opening in the front...and how does that really help on a full face helmet anyway if you are not moving?

Ideally, the helmet should have some kind of "ram air" scoops in the front. But you still have to get that air to flow over the persons head. As the polystyrene liner in your helmet is the important connection between you and the safety aspect of the helmet in the first place, and should be firmly touching as much as your head as possible, how do you leave room for air flow without altering the amount of protection offered by a helmet?

Oh and a PS here...Keep your helmet in the fridge when not in use.
KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Oh and a PS here...Keep your helmet in the fridge when not in use.
KM
I`m not sure whether you are pulling our collective leg here, ;) or are serious KM. I can see how a cold helmet would be effective for a short time, but the cooling effect won`t last for long on a hot day.

O well, picturing my wife`s reaction to finding my helmet in her fridge gave me a good chuckle today. No riding here today anyway for me or anyone else. We have a foot of snow on the ground and the temps are only about 5*F. I need to go move my truck so the snowplows can clean the street later.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts