Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have often thought for me anyway, that a motorcycle GPS should be able to be used verticle, as I would like to see on ahead more than to the sides, I know you can zoom out but that looses detail that I would still like to see...
Maybe its because I ride the country roads mostly, maybe that would not be good in the city...
Just wonderin what y'all think, I may be wet here, what do you think about vertical vs horizonal...??? Or better yet, the capability to do either...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Old Dog,

I happen to have, in my hand, a GPS unit capable of both vertical and horizontal display. My cell phone is a Garminfone which is basically a GPS unit that has a somewhat smart phone built into it. It's advantage to other phones' navigation apps is that it actually uses the GPS satellites for navigation rather than data over your cell signal so it still works way out in the boonies. Because it's also a smart phone, it will change the orientation of the map depending on which way you hold/mount it. I've never used it vertically, but it does show more of what is ahead of you if held that way. I could see where this could be advantageous. I may readjust my ram mount and try it that way and see if I like it.

Unfortunately I don't think they make that phone anymore. It isn't real great at being a smart phone, so it never really caught on. It is, however, a pretty good GPS unit.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I use my Droid X and it does the same thing as above, vertical or horizonal depending on orientation. The zoom in and out doesn't lose rez either. Not sure what GPS you have or how convenient this is (or isn't) but if you touch the next turn on the screen, it will show the following turn. Touch it again and shows the next after that. Other than upgrading your GPS, that might be useful at a red light...

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
I have a Zumo 550 and switch sometimes from 3D view to 2D and zoom out a bit. Can usually get a good two mile scan ahead.

A bigger screen would help, the hot set up for this is using an IPad or one of the other tablet thingies.

You can download Garmin software, but I think you still are using cell phone signal.

My IPhone works well as a GPS, but it's screen is harder to see. They do make GPS units with much bigger screens too.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'm just tryin to have my cake and eat it too...lol... Just thought it would be nice to be able to orient the screen either way you wanted it...lol...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
I use a droid also. Samsung Charge. 4th droid phone. Love em. GPS vertically and uses gps satellites or cell signal, google maps. Pretty decent. Peace.
dt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts