Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been quiet on here for a few months--from the looks of things, not too much is new. Hope you are all doing great!

I picked up something today I was excited to tell you about. You all probably have seen it, but I hadn't. It's an armored hoodie sweatshirt.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Street/Jackets/Textile/brand/BILT-IRON-WORKERS/Armored-Motorcycle-Hoody/p/43355_59409_2

I'm pretty excited to try it out. On the website it gets pretty decent reviews. The only thing is you definitely need to buy a size (or two) larger than you usually fit into.

Anyone have one already?

I've got another post about soft saddlebags I'll throw out here in a minute too.

See ya!

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,734 Posts
is there any Kevlar in those? or is it just a plain cotton hoodie with pads in it?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
is there any Kevlar in those? or is it just a plain cotton hoodie with pads in it?
unknown

Went to link (ok), but no further visual views beyond a tiny .5"x.5" pic/links allowed.

....just sayin'

:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Ya know....I wore a regular hooded sweatshirt in the 70s when I rode spring and fall....then recently came SOA and Jax...with his "hoodie"...many copied him....why, I dunno....now this ?....

Im a trendsetter, not a follower, lol....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
You mentioning SOA reminded me of something.was at wal-mart last summer and flying my colors mind you we're one piece so territory shouldn't matter but you never know.I am halfway down an isle and notice a dude staring at me at the end of the aisle.I turn to look at him and he kinda takes off quickly and I see what looks like a three piece patch on his back.I'm like Damn it wtf Is up with this sheet so I follow him to ask what's up. He darts into another aisle and stops by a friend and I notice he's wearing a SOA shirt with their patch on the back.stoopId me.lol.my Prez gotta kick outta that one
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,734 Posts
Link don't work for me, but if its the one I think it is, it has armor, but no Kevlar. So, great to wear under a leather jacket that doesn't have armor.

But then, it still is better than wearing a hoodie that has no armor.
yet that could work with a leather. but then again, if I'm wearing leather, I probably won't wear a hoodie too. unless it was really cold outside and if it's that cold, I most likely won't be riding anyways. :doh: lol

I ran across this hoodie on Amazon...it's a little pricier than the other one, but it seems from the reviews that it fits really well, and has Kevlar & armor... might be worth checking out!

http://www.amazon.com/GoGo-Gear-Armored-Kevlar-Hoodie/dp/B009OAWQ1S
I'd much rather wear a hoodie like that one ^! although for that much $, I would rather buy a riding jacket.

either way. both are cool and yes, are still better than just a plain old cotton hoodie.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Ok, got the link to work. Under product details it does say the shoulders and elbows are reinforced with Kevlar.

What do you wear under your leather jacket Ruger? A wifebeater? Or nothing?;)

I have two leather jackets an neither has armor, so work fine for me. Not sure what use the hood is though.....

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,734 Posts
Ok, got the link to work. Under product details it does say the shoulders and elbows are reinforced with Kevlar.

I have two leather jackets an neither has armor, so work fine for me. Not sure what use the hood is though.....
no wifebeaters. I haven't warn one of those since the '80's. what I do wear is......my Hocking Hills Motorcycle Ranch t-shirt. :rockon:

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ever since I started riding about 5 years ago (sounds like a lot but I don't have a lot of miles logged) I've had armored mesh jackets, but I have never really liked the feel or fit of any of them.
This winter I found a heavy Wilson Leather jacket (no armor, but a thick leather) that I planned to use this upcoming season. It's been a great winter jacket.
The hoody is a great find for me. It's light and breathes but I will still feel like I have some protection. And it won't be cumbersome to store or wear when I get to work or wherever, like the mesh one is.

After reading the reviews where many had to buy 2 sizes up to get a normal fit, I went back to compare and tho I am normally a medium, XL fit way better than L. So if anyone is thinking of buying one, keep that in mind.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
They're pretty awesome but I'm always broke. I used to just wear shorts and a t riding. Now I at least wear jeans, boots and some heavy shirts.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
They're pretty awesome but I'm always broke. I used to just wear shorts and a t riding. Now I at least wear jeans, boots and some heavy shirts.
I used to ride in shorts and a t-shirt like a squib but after helping a few riders after they went down (**** happens) I now wear jeans and some sort of jacket. I'm not one for wearing too much like those high $ riding suits but if I'm going further than my shop (6 miles) I put a bit of protection on.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts

Probably there to keep your head warm?;) This jacket is meant to look casual (being used on and off the bike) giving certain riders protection without looking like they're preparing for a motoGP race.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I used to ride in shorts and a t-shirt like a squib but after helping a few riders after they went down (**** happens) I now wear jeans and some sort of jacket. I'm not one for wearing too much like those high $ riding suits but if I'm going further than my shop (6 miles) I put a bit of protection on.
When I went down luckily it was colder that morning so I dressed a lot heavier. A leather jacket would of helped a lot. Best thing I wore were my steel toe, if not for those my toes would of been destroyed in the chain.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
[/U][/B]
Probably there to keep your head warm?;) This jacket is meant to look casual (being used on and off the bike) giving certain riders protection without looking like they're preparing for a motoGP race.
I understand looks are important to some.;) but what I meant is the hood is likely too thick to wear under my helmet, to small to wear over the helmet (which certainly would look odd) and if not worn, but just left behind it would flap around in the wind and be annoying (especially if you have a passenger)
Thus, what use is it?

And normal cotton jeans don't provide any protection unless the alternative is shorts, or those thin flannel or fleese pants I actually see guys wearing out in public now (as lounging pants around the house sure, but really?)

I will mention too that there is a difference between "dress leather" and motorcycle leather. I have seen some nice leather jackets at Wilson Leather, but none were "motorcycle weight" leather. But again, even a thin leather is still better than cotton.

I'll just say to the OP here is if the hoodie has armor in it, (shoulders,elbows and back) it may be just as bulky to pack up as a mesh jacket.
And if its a knit, what's keeping the sleeves on your arms if you go down? Does it still have Velcro closures at the cuffs?
Isn't there a Cycle Gear store near you where you can actually see and try on the hoodie?

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
I understand looks are important to some.;) but what I meant is the hood is likely too thick to wear under my helmet, to small to wear over the helmet (which certainly would look odd) and if not worn, but just left behind it would flap around in the wind and be annoying (especially if you have a passenger)
Thus, what use is it?

And normal cotton jeans don't provide any protection unless the alternative is shorts, or those thin flannel or fleese pants I actually see guys wearing out in public now (as lounging pants around the house sure, but really?)

I will mention too that there is a difference between "dress leather" and motorcycle leather. I have seen some nice leather jackets at Wilson Leather, but none were "motorcycle weight" leather. But again, even a thin leather is still better than cotton.

I'll just say to the OP here is if the hoodie has armor in it, (shoulders,elbows and back) it may be just as bulky to pack up as a mesh jacket.
And if its a knit, what's keeping the sleeves on your arms if you go down? Does it still have Velcro closures at the cuffs?
Isn't there a Cycle Gear store near you where you can actually see and try on the hoodie?

I wear a hoody on the cooler days if I'm staying in town (long before soa came out, wolfie, lol) and put my leather jacket on for longer faster distances, same with my helmets being changed per riding style. The hoody doesn't really "flap around" much under 40mph, and I usually tuck it (reverse it) into my sweatshirt anyway. I know what you mean though if someone doesn't do like I do it could annoy the crap outta the passenger, lol.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...odd, I know....but I rarely weart my "skin" (Heavy Perfecto)....its either the fleece lined hoodie, or my Carhartt....sometimes in summer just my cutoff flannel and a T under....and yes, Ive experienced roadrash in my time....I still refuse to feel like a football player....I ride to enjoy it....when overly protected, it takes away from that....

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
...odd, I know....but I rarely weart my "skin" (Heavy Perfecto)....its either the fleece lined hoodie, or my Carhartt....sometimes in summer just my cutoff flannel and a T under....and yes, Ive experienced roadrash in my time....I still refuse to feel like a football player....I ride to enjoy it....when overly protected, it takes away from that....
I usually have my mommy wrap about 5 rolls of bubble wrap around me, 8 rolls if I take th training wheels off.:baby:

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts