Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 750 runs fine, except on occasion it cuts-out and stops running. It's like the kill switch activates, and all stop. I can pull over and restart..no problem. I'll ride 50 or so miles and no problem..then another day..20 or so miles, and it does it again. Any help please. Thanks

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
My 750 runs fine, except on occasion it cuts-out and stops running. It's like the kill switch activates, and all stop. I can pull over and restart..no problem. I'll ride 50 or so miles and no problem..then another day..20 or so miles, and it does it again. Any help please. Thanks
Spray some lube into the plunger on your side stand switch, sometimes they will stick and cause the engine to stop. :smiley_th

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I had this problem last fall...as it gets ready to or does die...before the bike stops moving...try turning off/on the ignition key switch...if it starts right back up and takes off...your ignition switch is a little loose.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I had this problem last fall...as it gets ready to or does die...before the bike stops moving...try turning off/on the ignition key switch...if it starts right back up and takes off...your ignition switch is a little loose.
I have to go with Slim on that!! :beerchug:

·
Registered
31 Posts
So I've had the same problem on occasion. I've also noticed that sometimes I have to turn the key to the left AND the right of "run" before the starter will engage. Where am I looking for a loose ignition wire?
A little off subject, but is there a kill switch for if you turn the front wheel too far? I was warming up the bike today and trying to turn it around in a tight spot and if I turned the bars all the way it would kill the motor. Is there a kill switch or is this maybe the ignition as well?

Thanks!

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Might also be the "phantom out of gas syndrome."

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
So I've had the same problem on occasion. I've also noticed that sometimes I have to turn the key to the left AND the right of "run" before the starter will engage. Where am I looking for a loose ignition wire?
A little off subject, but is there a kill switch for if you turn the front wheel too far? I was warming up the bike today and trying to turn it around in a tight spot and if I turned the bars all the way it would kill the motor. Is there a kill switch or is this maybe the ignition as well?

Thanks!
No kill switch at the handlebar locks.

The problem is in the area of the wire harness as it curves around the head tube to the ignition switch. It's not uncommon.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts

Thanks!
^^X2
I had the same problem when turning hard right. Ended up being the wires coming out of the switch were rubbed through but mine also was popping fuses for the lights.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Look at the wiring harness where it wraps the steering neck on it's way to the headlight bucket. Check for worn through insulation there and where the wiring enters the headlight bucket.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Spray some lube into the plunger on your side stand switch, sometimes they will stick and cause the engine to stop. :smiley_th
Curious if this is my problem too. The bike dies occasionally when I'm letting out the clutch so I assumed it was the switch. I've also had the same problem after riding for a few miles too. Let out the clutch and the bike dies.

Anyone know the part number is for the side stand switch?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was having this problem, too. I just posted an update in the electrical forum. If you're not popping fuses and it just flat dies as if you hit the kill switch CLEAN THE IGNITION CONTACTS. It's easy and it solved my problem.

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
No one has mentioned this problem lately, but last summer there were a few threads where riders who carried 2 or more keys on the keyring, had them coming in contact with the frame or tank and shorting out the ignition. Just another idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How exactly do you clean the ignition contacts? ( procedure) Had the carbs taken off...sinked, caps removed on fuel adjustment screws. Also, bypassed kill switch and kickstand switch. Motor still stops on occasion. (high speed or low speed) Starting to look at bad wire or bad ignition switch. Thanking in advance for any help. Agg.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hmm. Mine sometimes dies when I turn the bars all the way to the left. Also sometimes the tach just dies. Sigh. I hate working on electrical stuff.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
This might be of some useful info here.....
The other day I had to work on my dad's little kabota tractor.
It wouldn't start wouldn't start and had lost ALL power to everything.
After a day and a half of working on it I finally found the problem.
The Main wire running to the Switch, the male tab in plug (there was 5 wires in the plug) corroded by where the wire was crimped and separated inside the plug.

Stripped the wire and crimped on a new lug, Plugged it in and it worked great.

So you might want the wiggle the wires around where they plug together at.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts