Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mountain Man
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a big thing with the club bike style dyns out west is motocross bars on risers. I decided to see how the pro tapers I had hanging in the garage would fit. I think they look great and feel awesome. Much more aggressive riding postion, but still not bad on the back. Gonna fab up a mount for the choke cable and hide the signal/high/lo assembly, since I dont use signals anyways. But they clear with about and 1/8th inch on each side of the tank lock to lock.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Looks sweet.now get an emco viper cafe fairing.I'm doing my 86 Melissa Fayhe that way but I am thinking of making a plate to bolt to the factory handlebar mounts so I can mount some 6" Harley risers and 1" dragbars

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mountain Man
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks sweet.now get an emco viper cafe fairing.I'm doing my 86 Melissa Fayhe that way but I am thinking of making a plate to bolt to the factory handlebar mounts so I can mount some 6" Harley risers and 1" dragbars

If you make a set, make 2 and Ill buy one from ya. I'm wanting to do a cafe fairing, and that one looks perfect.

·
200% senile
164 Posts
Learn something new every day. I would have thought that leaning forward like that would be hard on the back, especially on the longer rides of 200 to 300 miles or more. You will have to give us a review after a long ride.

·
Mountain Man
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Learn something new every day. I would have thought that leaning forward like that would be hard on the back, especially on the longer rides of 200 to 300 miles or more. You will have to give us a review after a long ride.
It may be. It feel a lot like drag bars. Im young and still have a good back so right now it doesnt bother me. Ill take the trade off of leaning forward for the much better handling when riding aggressively

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
I like the Ape Hangers for riding, they give you better vision and centre the weight on the bike better, not to mention saving the front end from excessive wear. Let's put it to the vote, how many have used Ape hangers and like them,as opposed to not?

·
Mountain Man
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I like the Ape Hangers for riding, they give you better vision and centre the weight on the bike better, not to mention saving the front end from excessive wear. Let's put it to the vote, how many have used Ape hangers and like them,as opposed to not?
Why would we need to put it to a vote? I never said I hated the stock apes or anything. I was simple showing something I threw together in the garage that I thought looked cool and felt good. The apes set me back in the relaxed cruiser postions and don't allow me to be aggressive attacking corners. No I knkw its not a crotch rocket, but its all I can afford and this would be a pretty damn boring hobby if everybody left their bikes stock wouldn't it.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I like what you got on there, I put the Black Daytona Bend dirt track bars on mine as well .Click on my username and you can see my old 750 in my albums with the seat reworked and the Maier sport Fairing on it as well.

As for the survey,I have never liked apes to me they make a bike harder rather than easier to ride,plus the lower bars puts the weight of the bike nearer the core part of your body where most of your strength is. That is my personal experience and also I have noticed that I have never seen any kind of high performance bike with Apes on it on a track dirt or pavement.

But to each his own, there is a reason Vanilla and Chocolate are both popular.

·
200% senile
164 Posts
It may be. It feel a lot like drag bars. Im young and still have a good back so right now it doesnt bother me. Ill take the trade off of leaning forward for the much better handling when riding aggressively
You're on the right track. We also have a Mean Streak and in stock form it has the lean forward aggressive riding stance. It's actually quite comfortable and allows excellent control of the bike in curves.

Unlike you, I'm old, feeble, senile and my back is far from what it used to be. :) I start wanting to straighten up after a couple of hours on the meanie. That's when my son and I switch rides. We both like the 750 better.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
I've ridden both and both have pluses and minuses.I can't say which I like better

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
So a big thing with the club bike style dyns out west is motocross bars on risers. I decided to see how the pro tapers I had hanging in the garage would fit. I think they look great and feel awesome. Much more aggressive riding postion, but still not bad on the back. Gonna fab up a mount for the choke cable and hide the signal/high/lo assembly, since I dont use signals anyways. But they clear with about and 1/8th inch on each side of the tank lock to lock.
use a 1978-1980 Honda CX500 Choke assembly, its a direct bolt on, and easy to hide...
as for your left hand switch assembly, get a dirt bike clutch perch, and delete the whole side if ya want. you can also get rid of the right hand switch assembly by adding in a dirt bike brake res, and throttle assembly.

·
200% senile
164 Posts
I've ridden both and both have pluses and minuses.I can't say which I like better.
The one big difference to us is the near 150 pound weight difference. Makes a huge difference when trying to maneuver them around where we live with sloping rocky ground.

Once you take off down the road they both handle well. Like you said, they "both have pluses and minuses"...and those pluses and minuses change depending on whether you are asking me or my son what they are.

My son likes to lean a heck of a lot more on the curves than I do so the meanie is actually better suited to his style of riding.
I'm just thankful to have both so we can ride together.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts

·
Mountain Man
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
use a 1978-1980 Honda CX500 Choke assembly, its a direct bolt on, and easy to hide...
as for your left hand switch assembly, get a dirt bike clutch perch, and delete the whole side if ya want. you can also get rid of the right hand switch assembly by adding in a dirt bike brake res, and throttle assembly.
Thanks man, that choke setup looks perfect. I took the switch apart last night, and tucked it in under the side coil cover, Im gonna mount the headlight switch hi/lo to the cover. The rest is all unhooked now anyways (signals and horn). Im giving some thought to stripped the right side switch and going to a single cable dirt bike throttle with a spring to close it, and mounting the start button and kill switch under the tank somewhere.

·
Mountain Man
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some much better pictures

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Here are some much better pictures

I like it. (I see you got the part)

Awhile back...a member put on a set of BMW touring bars, which have a similar bend as the dirt bike bars sans the cross bar.

Never been a big fan of apes. But the ergos on the Vulcan kinda call for the "mini apes" to maintain a comfortable seating position for many. Comfort is of course subjective. To me the bars should be lower but farther back. Footpegs are a bit too foreward to feel right with drag bars to me.

Maybe rear sets and clubmans eh?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
I like it. (I see you got the part)

Awhile back...a member put on a set of BMW touring bars, which have a similar bend as the dirt bike bars sans the cross bar.

Never been a big fan of apes. But the ergos on the Vulcan kinda call for the "mini apes" to maintain a comfortable seating position for many. Comfort is of course subjective. To me the bars should be lower but farther back. Footpegs are a bit too foreward to feel right with drag bars to me.

Maybe rear sets and clubmans eh?
Could easily do rearsets off the rear footpeg mounts.clubmans might hit the tank unless you slide them forward or raise them in the trees

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
When it comes to bars, its all personal prefs...I will say however, that overly tall apes are dangerous, and overly low drags are back killers....

I personally prefer a WIDE bar (better control than the stock VN), and around the height of my shoulders, or a touch lower...I put wider bars on all my Harleys too.

Not fer nuthin, and Ive mentioned it before, but they sell dogbone risers in all heights and bar sizes....nice option in case ya dont like em.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts