Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just some guy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So the voltage my mosfet puts out when the bike is cold is usually 14.3 volts (idle) but after I've been riding the bike in the city for about an hour. I notice the voltage goes back to 12.5 at idle. Is this normal? The bike shop near me said once the battery is fully charged, it's normal for the regulator to turn off not to blow the battery out. Thoughts on this?

Reason I ask is that after I've been riding around in stop & go traffic for an hour or so, the bike sometimes shuts off on me. Little slow to start up but still fires. I'm thinking of doing the pickup coil mod to help fix that end since you guys seem to recommend it.
When the bike is turned off, the battery reads a healthy 12.5 volts so I know the new stator is working.

Just want to make sure things are reading correctly.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
that might be normal if the fan is on at the time of checking cause that thing can draw some power out of these little batteries quick

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Yes. The fan is usually running when I have checked the voltage when the bike is hot.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
let it idle till the fan cuts off and check the voltage then if it climbs back up your golden

i dont think you have any charging problems from what you describe so its :beerchug: time

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
The 750 doesn't normally charge at an idle. Rpm's have to be 1300 and higher in most cases.
chuck, this is a true statement for a STOCK system, but he has the MOSFET R/R which should be near 14V at idle.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I am not far from you...if you want to drive west over the bridge and meet me, I would take a look for you.....besides, it would be a great excuse to come riding away from the city traffic.....let that bike stretch it's legs...lol

Seriously Kevin, I am a 30 minute drive away....and worlds away from city life.
PM me and we can work out a ride together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts