Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
roadstercycle.com
The Super Mosfet Kit FH020AA

You can source the FH020AA cheap on ebay and built the kit yourself if you're resourceful, by buying used FH020AA regulators from wrecked FZ-09 (on eBay search FZ-09 regulator, and make sure you're looking at used units - I got one for $25!) Connectors and wiring should cost less than $45, making it a sub $80 project if you're patient.

Reactions: JETHRO

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
I used the whole roadstercycle Shindengen FH020AA kit, couldn't have been easier and couldn't work any better. Put it all together in early 2013. Price has gone up since then.

I thought it might be too large to fit in the stock location, so it's mounted under the left side cover with an aluminum bracket I made. (cut the bottom out of a frying pan) Relocating seemed important anyway, and the bolt holes are wider on the FH20 if I'm not mistaken. Fits nice where it is now, the stock one is still in place :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have looked on ebay and there is a wide range of mosfet r/rs at varying prices , How can you be sure your not getting crap without paying very high prices ,(Even then you cant be sure what your getting)

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
I used the whole roadstercycle Shindengen FH020AA kit, couldn't have been easier and couldn't work any better. Put it all together in early 2013. Price has gone up since then.

I thought it might be too large to fit in the stock location, so it's mounted under the left side cover with an aluminum bracket I made. (cut the bottom out of a frying pan) Relocating seemed important anyway, and the bolt holes are wider on the FH20 if I'm not mistaken. Fits nice where it is now, the stock one is still in place :)
exactly the same for me, except source of kit, and bracket material (I had a piece of flat mild steel avail).

Would like to add, I replaced the wires from the stator to the R/R as well (mine where cooked). I spliced them as close to the engine case as possible.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I have looked on ebay and there is a wide range of mosfet r/rs at varying prices , How can you be sure your not getting crap without paying very high prices ,(Even then you cant be sure what your getting)
FH020AA

As I said before, buy a used FZ-09 regulator. They're true FH020AAs and under $50 usually.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
It's a nice kit. The actual wiring diagram for a MOSFET is very simple and easy to follow.

They used to offer the option of supplying either a circuit breaker or a 30a maxifuse. I opted for the maxifuse, but I think the circuit breaker would have been a lot better. Easy reset and some reset automatically, don't have to carry a spare maxifuse or go hunt for one. Though it's never popped.

The guy selling those kits is a helicopter mechanic and a bike builder. Spoke to him on the phone and he was very helpful when I bought mine, even extended the warranty since I bought it in winter.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ok got hold of a used fh020aa r/r off an artic cat,in mean time going to connect a cheap chinese mosfet r/r to the bike, Just one question, Will a bad stator fry a good r/r ? p.s. thanks for your help

·
Registered
132 Posts
just one point, I have noticed is that the quality mosfet r/rs have a metal backplate on them as opposed to just the ceramic backfill .

Reactions: thtanner

·
Super Moderator
11,943 Posts
Ok got hold of a used fh020aa r/r off an artic cat,in mean time going to connect a cheap chinese mosfet r/r to the bike, Just one question, Will a bad stator fry a good r/r ? p.s. thanks for your help
Kinda doubt it. When stators "go bad" they usually put out less voltage, not more. You'd have to pour more volts into an R/R to cook it.

However I think a bad R/R could harm a stator.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,209 Posts
Kinda doubt it. When stators "go bad" they usually put out less voltage, not more. You'd have to pour more volts into an R/R to cook it.

However I think a bad R/R could harm a stator.
x2.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
yes ok , Its that someone told me if one phase goes bad the regulator asks more current from the other two good ones, which then can blow out the r/r ?. I just wonder if that is correct

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
yes ok , Its that someone told me if one phase goes bad the regulator asks more current from the other two good ones, which then can blow out the r/r ?. I just wonder if that is correct
That is not correct. The R/R is a passive device, and has no way to 'request' more from one leg or the other. It takes what the stator outputs, and works with it.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,209 Posts
it can go the other way,though,and can give too much to the stator

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got my MOSFET from roadstercycles today, my only question is the battery cables, do i just book the MOSFET up to the battery and good to go, or do i stack both the MOSFET and the bikes battery cables on top of eachother on the battery or something?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Just got my MOSFET from roadstercycles today, my only question is the battery cables, do i just book the MOSFET up to the battery and good to go, or do i stack both the MOSFET and the bikes battery cables on top of eachother on the battery or something?
You stack the cables on top of the others so both are hooked up at once.

Reactions: Daniel Krueger

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well got my battery charged back up and went to put everything back on, since i have the bike de-goated was just gonna put the MOSFET in the stock spot, considering i can place both the R/Rs on eachother and the bolts fit through both holes i didn't see an issue, but i cant get the MOSFET in the stock location, just a hair off from being able to get both bolts in... kinda strange since the holes on both R/R's line up... guess i'm going to have to get something to relocate it behind the side cover or above the passenger peg :/

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,209 Posts
I wouldn't put the two together as the swingarm might hit it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wouldn't put the two together as the swingarm might hit it

im not putting the two together, i mean i just placed one ontop of hte other to see if the holes would line up, if they did then i would put the MOSFET in the stock location, they lined up but the MOSFET wont fit in the stock location... Im throwing away the old R/R though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts