Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two of my daughters got me David L. Hough`s second book "MORE Proficient Motorcycling-MASTERING THE RIDE", as a Christmas present. I have read about half of it so far and it is an excellent addition to the first book, "Proficient Motorcycling- The Ultimate Guide To Riding Well", which I have had for about two years and have read cover to cover several times, as well as referring to often to answer questions that come up here or elsewhere.

I recommend without reservation that every motorcyclist have copies of these two books in your personal library, and review them at least annually before the start of a new riding season. Even better keep them beside your favorite chair and read a few pages every night while relaxing with your favorite beverage in front of the fireplace (or during TV commercials :)).

Now I find on the back cover of my new book that Mr. Hough has another book previously unknown to me. Accoring to the little trailer, "STREET STRATEGIES-A SURVIVAL GUIDE FOR MOTORCYCLISTS" is a unique collection of street savvy gleaned from years of real-life motorcycling. Each page serves as a reminder about a specific hazard and a short lesson designed to help readers avoid nasty accidents.

I have every reason to believe this book will be as valuable, readable and and to-the-point as the two "Proficient Motorcycling" volumes I currently own. I plan to add it to my small collection of cycling books in the near future, and encourage others to do the same.

EDIT --Link to Hough`s books: http://www.amazon.com/David-L.-Hough/e/B001JOWE2I

One old biker in his op/ed column in a biker mag offered one more suggestion for filling your need for a mc fix when it is not possible to ride. He had been collecting mc related articles from various sources for 35-40 years and putting them in a scrapbook. On cold winter evenings he would get it out and re-read safety items and other things he had gathered over the years. He said he had at least two other old biker friends who he knew collected and reviewed stuff similar to the way he did. You don`t get to be an old biker by being dumb. For those of us who can`t ride year around, keeping your head in the game through the off season tends to make you a safer rider when the bike comes out again in the spring IMHO.:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I am ordering more proficient now..

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I just got my complete set of the road is a journey by daniel meyer

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
659 Posts
Two of my daughters got me David L. Hough`s second book "MORE Proficient Motorcycling-MASTERING THE RIDE", as a Christmas present. I have read about half of it so far and it is an excellent addition to the first book, "Proficient Motorcycling- The Ultimate Guide To Riding Well", which I have had for about two years and have read cover to cover several times, as well as referring to often to answer questions that come up here or elsewhere.

Now I find on the back cover of my new book that Mr. Hough has another book previously unknown to me. Accoring to the little trailer, "STREET STRATEGIES-A SURVIVAL GUIDE FOR MOTORCYCLISTS" is a unique collection of street savvy gleaned from years of real-life motorcycling. Each page serves as a reminder about a specific hazard and a short lesson designed to help readers avoid nasty accidents.

Hey Gordon

I have all three of these. The Street Strategies is a nice little "cliff notes" version that hits alot of the highlights in the "Proficient" books. I don't think there is anything new, but it's a nice small book that can live in the saddle bag.

I get these books out every spring and re-read them just to reinforce everything. I also loan them out pretty frequently if I meet someone who I think needs a "bit of advice".

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts

Hey Gordon

I have all three of these. The Street Strategies is a nice little "cliff notes" version that hits alot of the highlights in the "Proficient" books. I don't think there is anything new, but it's a nice small book that can live in the saddle bag.

I get these books out every spring and re-read them just to reinforce everything. I also loan them out pretty frequently if I meet someone who I think needs a "bit of advice".
Amazon is out of the more prof book. I guess i have to wait.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts