Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 2003 Vulcan barn find was running good, but had a leaky petcock. Replaced the petcock and had some problems getting it to run right at higher speed. Been tinkering for a few days with the air mixture screw, and carb vent location. Nothing seemed to fix my problem. Decided to drain the carbs to see if there is still junk in there and sure enough there was. Thinking back, the old petcock had a cut in the reserve screen. I guess that could have let some trash in. Time to take the carbs apart again. Also time to get some online fuel filters.

Each cup is from each carb.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I drained the tank today. Amazed at all the junk in there. I cleaned it too. Guess not good enough. Time to clean it out again. This is a 5 gallon bucket. You can see all the junk in the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
I feel you, my gas tank has black flecks stir up every time I filled the tank until I cleaned mine out, and my carbs were straight up silty. 138/40 might be alright, that's just 2 jets larger on the main jet, stock pilot. I have 42/142 and it's a bit rich, but my air filters are likely a bit more restrictive than yours, so you maaaay wanna go with a 40 pilot jet. That K&N is HUGE! I'll be interested to see how it all goes together.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel you, my gas tank has black flecks stir up every time I filled the tank until I cleaned mine out, and my carbs were straight up silty. 138/40 might be alright, that's just 2 jets larger on the main jet, stock pilot. I have 42/142 and it's a bit rich, but my air filters are likely a bit more restrictive than yours, so you maaaay wanna go with a 40 pilot jet. That K&N is HUGE! I'll be interested to see how it all goes together.
I'll keep y'all posted. Decided to just do the main jet for now. My local shop had 137.5 in stock. So I'll be 137.5/38. We shall see how that does.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it all back together! Took it on a test drive and it's the best it's felt since I got it. The 137.5 jets seems to work good. I have the air mixture screws at two turns. Didn't really have time to play with them tonight. I'm just happy it ran and ran good. Used some K&N Inline filters. They seem to be working. They are small and easy to fit in the tight spots.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts