Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, not sure really where I should have put this, it could go under several categories. Anyway, does anyone live in or can tell me about Montauk NY? I've been there before a few years ago. I want to take my girlfriend there on the Meanie in the next couple months. Basically I guess I'm asking if Montauk is tourist-ready. Did Sandy hit there and if yeah, are they all cleaned up? Any advice on where to go or what to see? Thanks for any information. :D

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
They do have a website...figured that the information should be current:
http://www.onmontauk.com/

I don't know anyone in the area, so I can't say for sure what is open and ready for tourists.

Maybe use the website and make a few calls???

·
Registered
167 Posts
I used to live in Orient (the end of the other fork on Long Island). The end of the island was incredibly lucky and weathered Sandy very well. Here are some things:

I think you mentioned in another post you've been out there before- so you know about the traffic since it is really only a single road and everyone loves visiting there.

-You can go to the end (pretty) and pay the cheap fee to go up the lighthouse.
-Any beach is a great beach.
-Plenty of shopping in South Hampton and East Hampton if you are into that (nice area too).
-If you don't mind a little above average price- Gossmans is the best restaurant. Go for lunch for no line, beautiful view of/on the docks, and slightly cheaper fare.
-I think it is South Hampton that has a Royal Enfield store. They aren't my cup of tea, but look great. You can actually test ride them there!

-Explore. Once you get near Montauk every side road gives you great views and may even be a tiny bit twisty (something Long Island isn't known for).

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I used to live in Orient (the end of the other fork on Long Island). The end of the island was incredibly lucky and weathered Sandy very well. Here are some things:

I think you mentioned in another post you've been out there before- so you know about the traffic since it is really only a single road and everyone loves visiting there.

-You can go to the end (pretty) and pay the cheap fee to go up the lighthouse.
-Any beach is a great beach.
-Plenty of shopping in South Hampton and East Hampton if you are into that (nice area too).
-If you don't mind a little above average price- Gossmans is the best restaurant. Go for lunch for no line, beautiful view of/on the docks, and slightly cheaper fare.
-I think it is South Hampton that has a Royal Enfield store. They aren't my cup of tea, but look great. You can actually test ride them there!

-Explore. Once you get near Montauk every side road gives you great views and may even be a tiny bit twisty (something Long Island isn't known for).

Hope this helps!
Immensely! Thank you so much! :D I just sent this info my girlfriend and she said she was "so impressed know so many people around the country!" LOL!!!! Double thanks!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
You gonna take the Pack with ya ?....been 40 yrs since I been out there...

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Montauk is lovely as are the Hamptons and the whole area. Used to visit there often when I was actively boating. Many places to stay but make sure to make reservations well in advance. Lots of good places to eat as well, some very expensive some not so much Gossmans is definitely not to miss if you're going. By June or later they should be mostly recovered from Sandy. Let me know when you're going I'll map out a scenic route for you to get a nicer Long Island experience.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I guess they dont let ya sleep on the beach anymore....we used to do that a lot in both LI and Jersey Shore.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Montauk is lovely as are the Hamptons and the whole area. Used to visit there often when I was actively boating. Many places to stay but make sure to make reservations well in advance. Lots of good places to eat as well, some very expensive some not so much Gossmans is definitely not to miss if you're going. By June or later they should be mostly recovered from Sandy. Let me know when you're going I'll map out a scenic route for you to get a nicer Long Island experience.
Thanks man! We're going for a long weekend in May, 16 to 21-May-13...

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got back yesterday, Montauk is a pretty cool little town. We did go to Gossman's and to the Inlet, to The Coast, Zum Schnieder's, Shagwong, and Bird on a Roof - they were all pretty good. Our favorite was the inlet - yeilding a 360 degree view of the harbor and serving fresh caught-daily fish. It was awesome! We stumbled onto the fourth annual Montauk music festival too, that was really cool. The lighthouse was AMAZING as well, what a rich history. Anyway, thanks to all here for the great recommendations!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Glad you had fun, I may have missed it did you ride up there, or go in 4 wheels?

kenny

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Nice that you had fun, too bad the weather couldn't have been better.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad you had fun, I may have missed it did you ride up there, or go in 4 wheels?

kenny
We took the Camaro. I tried to convince her that a weekends worth of clothes would fit in the new travel case I got for the luggage rack on the meanie but she wasn't havin' any of that. Probably better anyway because it rained all day Sunday and Monday on the way back. Shame about it, I really want to use that travel case. LOL!!

Nice that you had fun, too bad the weather couldn't have been better.
It was really only bad the last day there, Sunday. I can't complain too much, we bought a umbrella and made the best of the fest. Actually, listening to live music and drinkin beers under an umbrella was pretty fun.

Quick story: actually I should post this story in the belly because it's really funny. I made a total ass out of myself - again. It might be an adventure now that I think about it. Either way check the belly, I'll post there...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Montauk is great! Being from Long Island it's one of my favorite mini-vacations. I'll be heading out there quite a few times this summer.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^ Two Mile Beach in East Hampton allows barbeques on the beach. It's supposed to be some of the best grilling world wide. It was even featured on Travel Channel and it's on the way to Montauk (assuming you're further West to both locations). If you can work in spending one night there, I highly recommend it. Also, if you're looking for the best Mexican food on planet earth, go to "Mercado" in East Hampton...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Guys, I think I mentioned to some of you when I met you all at the Clinton Diner a few months ago that I might be moving back to Long Island, well I did, and I'm out in Suffolk County right near Port Jefferson. If any of you guys ever want to plan a trip out to the island, Hamptons, Montaulk, North Fork, whatever, I hope I see it here so I can meet up with ya'll again :) Any other Vulcan 750 guys from Suffolk Cty Long Island here???

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Port Jeff, eh ?....Isnt Billy Joel's custom shop close to there ?....I actually requested an employment application just to see, lol....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts