Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a modular helmet and have received many opinions of them. I like a full face helmet but don't use one very often as it is a pain to place my eyeglasses on, so I've been using a HJC 3/4 helmet, but want to get back to more protection.

I have heard some say that modular helmets don't lock properly (HJC helmets in particular "POP" open) Has this happened to anyone here?

Pro's and con's.... any opinions would help me decide whether or not to buy one

thanks for your time

Stan

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I've always wanted to try a modular helmet, but never have yet.

IMO, any (decent quality) full face is better than an open face.
Even if it would pop open, it will still be giving you as much protection as a 3/4 helmet, wont it?

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
I thought about getting a modular or "flip up" helmet myself. Most of the better ones shouldn't pop open on you...but then you never know what might happen in a crash.
I don't wear regular eyeglasses, but I almost always wear sunglasses. I think for now I can put up with the slight inconvienace it takes to remove my specs, put on the helmet, open the visor, slip my glasses back on...or , open the visor, take off the glasses, remove the helmet, put the glasses back on...
Those extra steps don't bother me as I just feel the advantage of wearing a full face helmet is worth that little bit of trouble.
There are some nice flip helmets on the market, if I were to buy one I'd likely get the Shoei Multitec , a bit expensive, but I really like Shoei helmets.
Many folks I know that have flip helmets say they hardly use the feature, except for the whole eyeglass thing.
If I lived in Europe where I constantly might find myself having to show my face at borders ...(your papers please..)..the flip up would make alot of sence to me.
I don't think any flip helmet has managed to get a SNELL sticker, and I have heard of some opening up in a crash, so for now I'll stick with the full face helmet.
But if the whole eyeglass thing just bugs you that much, make sure the fiip helmet you get fits well and will in fact go on without you having to remove your glasses. (on some the padding on the sides end up knocking you glasses anyway)
I know several riders who have the Nolan Flip helmet and do like it.

I think when it comes to safety equipment , only you can make the call on what you are comfortable with.

KM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you seen the Nolan N42 ?

A friend of mine bought a Nolan N42 and I was so impressed, I am getting one too.

It is technically an open face helmet, but it has a full clear shield and a dark visor as well. The build quality is nice and the price reasonable as well.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
I read that modular helmets have a tendency to fail in a crash at the hinge area, and the hinge can then penetrate thru the skull.

You can read more about this failure by visiting the following link:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Helmets.html#Helmets

As further evidence of this problem, note that there are no current modular helmets that are Snell-certified.

You can of course duck this possibility by getting a full face helmet.

You can also significantly bump up the safety factor when you ride by purchasing a helmet that has a really bright but solid color--bright yellow, for example.

You can read more on the effectiveness of this "bright" idea passed on by one motorcycle columnist (and long-time rider) by visiting the following:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/driver_visibility/index.html

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I have a Nolan, got it a year ago and like it, gives me the ability to open if it gets hot and close if high speeds or bad weather aproch:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
may be noisier...

Let me preface this with the 3 signs of old age - the first is loss of memory...and..ahhh...mmmmm...I can't remember the other 2. I had been researching helmet info for my son, and I didn't print it out, but I read somewhere that in addition to the modulars sometimes opening on impact, they were also noisier than the regular full face. That probably varies with manufacturer. Sorry I can't source the infor.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I read that modular helmets have a tendency to fail in a crash at the hinge area, and the hinge can then penetrate thru the skull.
You can read more about this failure by visiting the following link:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Helmets.html#Helmets
Guess that write-up proves my thoughts wrong about....
"IMO, any (decent quality) full face is better than an open face.
Even if it would pop open, it will still be giving you as much protection as a 3/4 helmet, wont it?"

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I have all three styles; full face, 3/4, and modular. I personally prefer the modular. It allows me the ease of showing my face and almost the protection of a full face. I have to be able to let our gate guards(AF base) see my face daily. It also makes gas station attendants friendlier when they can see some detail. The modular works well as I wear both hearing aids and glasses and can keep them all on while I don the helmet. I use the 3/4 around town and the modular out of town. Each person should investigate and make their own decision based on their comfort level and desires.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I have a Nolan N100 (old style) and love it. I wear it on long trips and when the weather is not so nice. Unfortunatly, during nice weather and around town, I wear my half helmet. I know I shouldn't, that the Nolan is safer and all but I really like the half helmet for the impression of freedom it gives me. Yes, the Nolan is much safer...

A modular helmet is heaver then a one piece full face helmet and my Nolan is no exception. But I cannot get a 1P-FF on with my glasses and sometimes get claustrophobic with a 1P-FF. When I get a little worked up with the Nolan, I just lift the chin-bar and I'm OK. Just knowing I can do that is half the battle. I've never been to get a 1P-FF helmet to fit right and I just hate them, so I have always worn half-helmets. About 5 years ago, a friend of mine (paramedic) showed me a full face helmet that he salvaged from a motorcycle accident. The chin area was torn-up and scrapped down. Had the rider not been wearing the full face helmet, that would have been his face skidding along the road. I purchased my Nolan that weekend. Unfortunatly, I do sometimes forget the reasons I purchased my Nolan and don't wear it as much as I should but I am trying.

But overall I would recommend either a Nolan flip helmet or a HJC Symax flip helmet any day of the week.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Modular helmet

I have a modular helmet and I feel pretty confident that it will protect me if I ever go down. It has a ton of padding but it is noisy. But then again, so is my old full-face. Here's what I bought: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2011037/p-2011037/N-111+10211+600014875/c-10111
(On a side note, due to some screw-ball customer service, I will never buy from them again.) This helmet has a positive secure latching mechanism and I think that it will stay latched if I crash. You do have to press down rather hard to get it to latch, but once you do, it's down. As far as convenience goes it's good for refueling and hot days in stop and go traffic. I never raise it to put it on or off and I always wear either sun or safety glasses. Anyway, that's all I got.
Dan

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I have a modular helmet and I feel pretty confident that it will protect me if I ever go down. It has a ton of padding but it is noisy. But then again, so is my old full-face. Here's what I bought: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2011037/p-2011037/N-111+10211+600014875/c-10111
(On a side note, due to some screw-ball customer service, I will never buy from them again.) This helmet has a positive secure latching mechanism and I think that it will stay latched if I crash. You do have to press down rather hard to get it to latch, but once you do, it's down. As far as convenience goes it's good for refueling and hot days in stop and go traffic. I never raise it to put it on or off and I always wear either sun or safety glasses. Anyway, that's all I got.
Dan
Thank you for the link. I'll be sure to look at this one this spring for my wife and maybe for me when my Nolan reaches the end of it's usefull life.

What did JC Whitney do to you? I live two hours away from them and am in the area of their warehouse twice a year on the average, so I never order from them. I go into their outlet store, check out their clearance / returns area and if I don't see what I want I walk up to the counter and get it brought up. I've personally never had an issue with JC Whitney. I have had an issue with one of the members of the family who started the company - that guy runs a business in Chicago and he is the biggest pain in the ass cheap lazy bastard I've ever met. But that too is another story :doh:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am using a V-Can 608 modular helmet. I am very comfortable with it, although I almost never use the latch. I take my helmet off at every stop that I do including gas stations.
I bought it because it sounds almost like Vulcan. ;)They are chinese made and all are dot approved and inexpensive as hell.

Ill get a HJC full face in spring and leave the v-can for two up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Modular helmet

Thank you for the link. I'll be sure to look at this one this spring for my wife and maybe for me when my Nolan reaches the end of it's usefull life.

What did JC Whitney do to you? I live two hours away from them and am in the area of their warehouse twice a year on the average, so I never order from them. I go into their outlet store, check out their clearance / returns area and if I don't see what I want I walk up to the counter and get it brought up. I've personally never had an issue with JC Whitney. I have had an issue with one of the members of the family who started the company - that guy runs a business in Chicago and he is the biggest pain in the ass cheap lazy bastard I've ever met. But that too is another story :doh:
I ordered an open faced helmet from jcwhitney and originally the ship date said 3-5 working days. After a couple of days I received a 30 day backorder notice and I said to myself that I can live with that. But when those thirty days ran out and they gave me another 30 day backorder, that's when I emailed and then called them for an explanation. They couldn't be honest with me and tell me what was really going on. I spent 22 years in the Navy working supply and I understand that sometimes there are delays, but you can't BS your customers. Is it coming from out of the U.S? (which I think it was-they couldn't tell me WHEN it was expected in, just 30 more days), Is there a minimum order requirement? (for instance, they can't, or won't order it until they have say, 10 requests), they couldn't tell me how many were expected in, they couldn't tell me what the demand history was (and at this point I was just messing with them). To me they really handled it badly. They aren't really that bad, but to anyone ordering from them (or any other company) I'd say to pay close attention to your back orders and to start asking questions when they start yanking you around like this. And don't be afraid to cancel and take your business elsewhere! I am but one voice, but here I am telling other people about my experience with them! Since then I have used the jcwhitney website as a starting point to look at an item, then I do a google search for the manufacturers website for comparison shopping (and you can find out directly from the mfr if you'll be back ordered or not). After all the back order mess started I looked and I was never able to find the manufacturer (or the website) of that open faced helmet. So I'd say go ahead and use them, but as the saying goes, YMMV (Your Miles May Vary).
Dan

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I spent 22 years in the Navy working supply and I understand that sometimes there are delays, but you can't BS your customers.
Supply puke, eh... Cool... I was an SK2 before crossing over to MAA in the early 90's. The memory of the SNAP-II supply computer system we had on the USS Virginia still makes me laugh and shake my head. What a huge waste of money that POS was.

I can understand your delema with the boys and girls at JC Whitney. With them, you get what you pay for and sometimes it is garbage. That is why I would never mail order with them. Going to their outlet store in Peru, IL is cool because you can handle it and decide if it is worth it. I've more then once gotten there with my list and after examining something, put it back as it was not as cool or sturdy as the catalog made it look.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am thinking of buying a modular helmet and have received many opinions of them. I like a full face helmet but don't use one very often as it is a pain to place my eyeglasses on, so I've been using a HJC 3/4 helmet, but want to get back to more protection.

I have heard some say that modular helmets don't lock properly (HJC helmets in particular "POP" open) Has this happened to anyone here?

Pro's and con's.... any opinions would help me decide whether or not to buy one

thanks for your time

Stan
thanks for all the replies. I went out and bought a SHOEI Multitec modular last saturday.I compared the HJC, NOLAN and SHOEI helmets. the HJC has a plastic clip that latches when closed....I was afraid it would wear and I've heard these helmets pop open sometimes so I dropped the HJC from the running.

The NOLAN was a quality helmet, it just did not fit my noggin quite right, you know the pressure on the forehead that would make you crazy on a long ride.

So, I bought the multitec, it has metal clips so I'm confident the latch mechanism won't wear and it fit me pretty well so, I ordered it. (of course the color I wanted wasn't in stock)

My wife told me that I got the SHOEI because, as usual, it was the most expensive one (MSRP $492) but I bought it for ($422) .... I feel that if you have to spend a bit on your helmet to be comfortable it is worth it...besides, it is my xmas gift so she's buying anyway(LOL)

on a sidenote...none of the modulars are snell certified but the nolan, shark and shoei have a european certification (I think it is EFE? but I'm not sure) it seems none of the manufacturers have approached the snell foundation for testing. in my opinion the full face helmets are best...but not for me so I feel this modular will provide a decent level of protection.

thanks again for the replies
Stan

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
....My wife told me that I got the SHOEI because, as usual, it was the most expensive one (MSRP $492) but I bought it for ($422) .... I feel that if you have to spend a bit on your helmet to be comfortable it is worth it...besides, it is my xmas gift so she's buying anyway(LOL)

The Shoei would be my choice if I were wanting a flip helmet. Price, well, there was an old ad that said "If you got a $10.00 head, get a $10.00 helmet"
My head is the most valuable thing I own, so paying alot to keep it safe and comfortable is almost just common sense.
As noted in the other thread about helmets, higher price does not always mean higher safety, but it does seem to reflect comfort and features.
Many have issues with the SNELL testing , and feel the european standards are more realistic.

KM

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have an older Fulmer flipup. It didn't pop open the one time I bounced my head on the pavement with it on.

Having been told that once is enough for a helmet, I set out to buy another but couldn't find a Fulmer again and at least then you couldn't get one over the internet. Hard to believe, but true then anyway. So I ordered a similiar helmet online and used a size conversion chart that showed my size with the Fulmer and the matching size for an AFX brand flip-up. Ordered the AFX. Big mistake!

It was way to tight in the jaw area and I only wore it once or twice hoping that it might conform to my face but it didn't. Instead of sending it back I kept it thinking one of the female members of my family might use it. Too tight even for them as it turned out and then it was too late to try to get a refund on it.

Went back to my apparently OK Fulmer and been happy. It is perfect for cold weather and rain -- other times I wear a 3/4 or open face or whatever they're called. Its cooler and very comfortable.

I wear prescription glasses (clear or dark, depending) and the Fulmer is very easy to put on and off with them in place.

Maybe Fulmer is not a prestige helmet, I don't know, but mine is very comfortable, quiet, easy on/off with glasses, and has never popped open, even in a crash.

jeff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts