Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a protac backrest and I noticed when I went to install it, it interferes with my saddle bags. I have to punch a hole about a half inch in diameter into the thick leather I'm just not sure about the best way to do that. Would an "X" with a razor blade do it? I want to compromise the integrity of the leather as little as possible...

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I just got a protac backrest and I noticed when I went to install it, it interferes with my saddle bags. I have to punch a hole about a half inch in diameter into the thick leather I'm just not sure about the best way to do that. Would an "X" with a razor blade do it? I want to compromise the integrity of the leather as little as possible...
If you cut an "x" over time the cuts will expand, if you cut a circle it will not. :smiley_th

·
Registered
721 Posts
get a copper or steel pipe with the diameter of the hole you need, put the area of the bag a hard surface, heat the end of the pipe, and use a heavy hammer to punch the holes... I've done it on other products.. works well, not perfect, but it works...

·
Registered
881 Posts
get a copper or steel pipe with the diameter of the hole you need, put the area of the bag a hard surface, heat the end of the pipe, and use a heavy hammer to punch the holes... I've done it on other products.. works well, not perfect, but it works...
nice 99vulcan, it acts as a punch. you can file a sharp edge on the one end if pipe wall is thick. i have used a circle cutter (small bow compass) on leather and gasket material in the past.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
If you cut an "x" over time the cuts will expand, if you cut a circle it will not. :smiley_th
Just get Knifemaker to send you a couple of 45 ACP cases, champher the case mouths a bit and get a block of wood and a hammer and bang, bang, and you are done...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts

That all sounds good but not sure why you need to heat the pipe. You can take any metal tubing and sharpen the end a bit ( a bench grinder does it quickly) Use a phone book under the leather and whack it with your hammer. A 6 inch long piece of tubing is more than enough.

I would try to find a metal tube that was just a bit smaller than the hole you want so when you insert your backrest pipe? it seals around it well. ... I am guessing that is why you need the hole?

Can't you just shorten the rest?

KM

·
Registered
721 Posts
That all sounds good but not sure why you need to heat the pipe. You can take any metal tubing and sharpen the end a bit ( a bench grinder does it quickly) Use a phone book under the leather and whack it with your hammer. A 6 inch long piece of tubing is more than enough.

I would try to find a metal tube that was just a bit smaller than the hole you want so when you insert your backrest pipe? it seals around it well. ... I am guessing that is why you need the hole?

KM
I'm not sure why.. that's jsut teh way my grandpa showed me, lol..

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

KM
Thanks for all the ideas. I'll definitely sharpen some pipe and make the hole smaller than I need for a tight fit.

I can't shorten the backrest. The brackets for the backrest go on first then the leather bags go over them, then the arms of the rest need be inserted in brackets. I need to hole punch the leather...

·
Registered
154 Posts
So, I assume it made it? Good luck with it

Stan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts