Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know if anyone has trouble making the 1-2 shift above 7,000 rpm. For whatever reason I get neutral everytime over 7grand. Now if I shift slowly and allow the revs to drop to 7grand it will move right into second gear. I've never experienced anything like this before on a bike so I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this problem. I have read that the higher the revs the higher the likely-hood of making a missing shift. Interestingly enough I can shift at any rpm beyond second gear. Could the kawi positive neutral finder have something to do with this or even syncro's (do motorcyles have them)? The bike is tight so I wouldn't think anything internal.

Thanks for any input.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
odd, i tried this out the other day and i seemed to have the same prob. i just thought i didnt lift hard enough on the shift lever, but then i tried a second time same results. i have a feeling its the kawi posi neutral finder interfering. wonders if the ninjas and others have the same problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is probably more inherent in cruisers, I did some researching and it pointed missed shifts to cruisers bc of their tq. I've ridden a few bikes and never experienced anything like it before. I can't imagine it happens with race type bikes since they are designed to rev 14k or more. They also have short linkages to the shift spindle which ours it huge in comparison. I try to shift a few grand below now and all is well.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Why would you routinely run the bike at near red line for a shift from 1-2? Aside from the missed shift, it's hard on the engine. A cruiser is NOT designed to be a race bike. It can take a fair amount of punishment but don't expect it to last a long time if you abuse it alot.
As far as the missed shift goes, there are 3 tiny steel balls that reside between the gear and the central shaft that are part of the positive neutral finder. I would imagine that with the high rpm, centrifugal force is pinning them to the outside of the gear shaft and not allowing the gear to slip into second.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I agree with Sky Rider, 1st gear @ 7K is runnin' pretty hard.

I'm not known to be all that soft on the throttle, but I'd have to say I don't think I've wound it out that far more than a couple of times in the last 5 years.

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
I have an 05. When making a pass on the highway a few months back, I was almost cut off by a vehicle. I hit the redline trying to avoid it and it seems that a rev limiter kicked in and it took about 10 seconds to regain full power. I wasn't aware of the limiter, but don't want to test it again :(

·
Registered
198 Posts
There is a rev limiter, but Kawasaki (according to my mechanic) does not recommend that you ever activate it on purpose. If you over-rev and hit the limiter because you're not paying attention to RPM, that's one thing, but that should happen as infrequently as possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts