Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right - my 1992 VN750 has been sitting outside my house for a while now with carburettor problems. Just got it to my mechanic who has sorted the carburettor problem, but there's an issue with the fuel tap. Apparently, there is a missing "sprung" o-ring, which doesn't have a part number, but it's easy to see on the diagram at the Ron Ayers site (can't post the link... too new!) - it's the slightly bent washer between parts 220 and 92055A, before the tap itself. This is proving difficult to replace, without a part number. I'm just going on what Ben, my mechanic, says - he says on Yamaha bikes this is called a springloader, and keeps the tap tight against the seal. I had a mate come and look at the bike a while back - not sure if he took this bit off or not - might have done, but a bit late now...

Any suggestions? I'm in the UK by the way - the bike is a US import...

Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
apparently that bit doesn't come in the kit... Ben has one of those already, which arrived the other day. Not sure why they would leave an important bit like that out, but it seems they have done...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
apparently that bit doesn't come in the kit... Ben has one of those already, which arrived the other day. Not sure why they would leave an important bit like that out, but it seems they have done...
I`ve seen these sprung *wave* washers, as I describe them, used in other machinery too. I believe you are right about the petcock rebuild kit not containing one of them. At least I have never seen one in the pictures of the parts kits on Ebay.

Perhaps someone who has a petcock out for service can measure the I.D., O.D. and thickness of the washer for you. You may be able to find something you can adapt at a pump repair shop or dairy milking machine supply shop, or the like.

If you can find a small piece of flat spring steel you can make your own.
Would a piece of feeler gauge be large enough or stiff enough?

The preceding are just some random thoughts, brainstorming if you will. I don`t know how feasible any of them are, but it may trigger some ideas of your own. Good luck.

PS. Call a machine shop. Maybe they know of a source for them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys

I think Ben's going to get a new petcock... I'll forward him the info though. Many thanks for your input anyway...

Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts