Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a recent hour ride, I pulled into the garage and noticed the door to the plastic tool box on the rear was missing. I know it was locked before I left and I don't suspect anyone messing with it. I didn't stop anywhere.

I keep registration, insurance, tools, manual etc in there, so I'd like to have it locked.

Anybody replaced this thing? Did you replace the door only or the whole box? Where did you find the replacement?

Can you get the lock re-keyed to the ignition key?

Pain in butt...

Texas Cruiser

·
239 Posts
Yep,that happened to me to last year.I was riding it home after buying it (100 mile ride).On a stop I found the doors lock was missing and the door was hanging open.By the time I got home the plasic hinge gave out and the door was gone also.Called the dealer I bought it from and They got a new door and lock to me in a week, (I assume from kawasaki). Good news is you should still be able to buy one, Bad news ,you have 2 keys now. When you get your new door, put a bead of silicone around the nut that holds the lock on,it can easily vibrate loose causing the lock to fall out.good luck

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
With the very minimal security the toolbox offers, I just ended up replacing mine with a very small backpack.
You can kinda see it in THIS pic, or THIS one.

And, a locksmith should be able to do some of his magic to get the original key to work on a new lock.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
In addition to the silicone on the lock, put a good piece of duct tape on the inside hinge of the door. That way if the lock goes, you'll still have a chance of keeping the door.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Depending on how close the keys are you can probably rekey it yourself. The lock cylinder is held together by a snap ring. If you take it apart you should be able to rearange the tumblers in it until it works with your old key. The trick is find the combination that make the tumblers flush when the key is inserted.

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
Depending on how close the keys are you can probably rekey it yourself. The lock cylinder is held together by a snap ring. If you take it apart you should be able to rearange the tumblers in it until it works with your old key. The trick is find the combination that make the tumblers flush when the key is inserted.
Somebody keep an eye on this guy, he sounds good....LOL.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I rekeyed my back door lock, The lock fell out and the one I got came with 2 keys. I was lucky they were only 1 tumbler away so I cut the key to work with my ignition and removed the one tumbler from the rear door. Now I have 4 keys for the bike.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
you could also use a piano hinge and rivet (use some blind rivets, easy to use and cheap) it in place of the plastic thing, that would add to the security of the box, and with the loctite on the nut on the lock, it shouldnt go anywhere. i would do it to mine, since it just broke, but i am pulling all of that off anyway.

·
50 Posts
When I saw that little lock assembly was almost $50 from Kaw, I knew there was no way. (You can't say Kawasaki nickel and dimes you on parts; they just mug you and take your whole wallet.) Took the case up to my local locksmith shop and they had me one for $7-8. They had to bend the lock tab to make it fit tight, but it works good.

And the silicone is good advice. Two weeks later mine came off, but luckily I was able to find it on the road. A wide metal washer to go on the back is a good idea too, so you can tighten it down real good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts