Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Blake W.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 vulcan 750 and it's missing the throttle closing cable....one without the bracket. What does this cable do and can I run the bike without it?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Back in the day, motorcycles ONLY had pull cable. Nowadays, many have a push/pull setup. Many people that ride dirt bikes remove the push/pull setup and replace it with a pull only for less friction and less weight.

It would only help you if the throttle stuck, and didn't have the state of mind to hit the kill switch.

Cars only have a pull setup.

Good Luck!

·
Blake W.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I did the return spring and it works great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where did you hook up the return spring? I was thinking about dumping the stock throttle and replacing it with a single cable setup. Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Where did you hook up the return spring? I was thinking about dumping the stock throttle and replacing it with a single cable setup. Thanks.
It already has one... as the throttle already snaps shut when you let go. The 'return' cable doesn't do that. It's just a 'fail safe' that allows you to pull the throttle shut in case you don't have the state of mind to hit the kill switch in case of an emergency.

The existing return spring will actually work better without the added friction of the return cable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, I apparently missed that upon inspection. I will check that out tonight.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks, I apparently missed that upon inspection. I will check that out tonight.
Most are actually built into the carburetor. They are built into where the needle/slide are.

·
Blake W.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The throttle cable connection already has a spring to return it but just wanted the actual return cable for safety. Will work with out it. A little tight now when using throttle may just go back to one cable.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The throttle cable connection already has a spring to return it but just wanted the actual return cable for safety. Will work with out it. A little tight now when using throttle may just go back to one cable.
Don't forget to lube those cables and all the pivot points. If they haven't been lubed in a while, then it may make a big difference in how easy they operate, not to mention making the cable last forever.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Don't forget to lube those cables and all the pivot points. If they haven't been lubed in a while, then it may make a big difference in how easy they operate, not to mention making the cable last forever.
Just be careful for what you use to lube a cable. Don't use oil, as it attracts dirt, and will eventually create MORE resistance in the cable. Use specified cable or speedometer cable lube. It's usually a graphite suspension.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Just be careful for what you use to lube a cable. Don't use oil, as it attracts dirt, and will eventually create MORE resistance in the cable. Use specified cable or speedometer cable lube. It's usually a graphite suspension.

Good Luck!
Good point. I use Dri Slide's Bike Aid, a moly/graphite dry lube (it is in a suspension that evaporates, leaving it dry). It does not attract dirt and last for a long time. Also, it comes with a needle applicator, so no need to pull cables. Available in many moto shops (include most HD dealers), online and bicycle shops for $15/4 oz bottle.

One note is that this is probably not the best lube for braided cables (for those folks that have upgraded the OEM cables to braided). The graphite can seep out, staining the outer cable.

·
Banned
448 Posts
Most are actually built into the carburetor. They are built into where the needle/slide are.
The springs inside of the carburetor are for closing the slide/needle assembly, not the throttle. There is a spring between the carbs where the cables are hooked to that closes the throttle when you let off of the gas.
Mine is really hard to pull, and I can't get them off of the bike w/o having to remove a LOT of stuff to get to them.
I thought about removing the return cable, but I want the piece of mind that if I twist the throttle closed it should close it for me.

·
Registered
245 Posts

The springs inside of the carburetor are for closing the slide/needle assembly, not the throttle. There is a spring between the carbs where the cables are hooked to that closes the throttle when you let off of the gas.
Mine is really hard to pull, and I can't get them off of the bike w/o having to remove a LOT of stuff to get to them.
I thought about removing the return cable, but I want the piece of mind that if I twist the throttle closed it should close it for me.
That's interesting. All of our dirt bikes rely on the spring where the needle/slide are located in the carburetor. I haven't had the carbs off the Vulcan, and don't really see myself doing it, until I have to. LOL! The dirt bikes are MUCH easier to work on! Jet/needle changes are just a few minutes. :smiley_th

1 - 14 of 14 Posts