Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im like really new to the site and need help i bought a 86 vn750 for 100 bucks and its tore apart and i was wanting to no if the bolts for the seat gas tanks and few other parts is standard or metric i have the service manual but all it says is for instant one bolt i need is for gas tank all it says is 6x20 that is it i never built bike but seems like kewl project so any suggestions and maybe where i can get them for cheap

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
They're metric. The 6x20 you listed is 6mm thread size, x 20mm long. But you need to know the thread pitch, which on this bike they're mostly 1.0 or 1.5, re-check the manual, it should be listed. Would look like.. M6x20-1.0 or M6x20-1.5 on the store packaging.

The 6x20 must be one of the front tank bolts.

Lowe's or hardware store is usually the best bet to buy new bolts. If in doubt, take an old bolt, they have thread checkers to match them up.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
just as a reference, the tank bolts are not standard bolts, they are shoulder bolts. there are other shoulder bolts around the bike as well.

if the manual you have has exploded views with part numbers, you can look the part numbers up online and many times there is a pic of the bolt.

many of the shoulder bolts can be replaced with standards without any issues, but some need to be shoulder bolts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hello here is my update on my vulcan got most of parts i didn't have found issue with fuse box plug wiring prob the reason why bike was parked for 14 years i have another harness but gonna try to repair the one on the bike. i tried to start it all it does is click haven't looked into it but i will anyway here some pics

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts