Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Yesterday I got caught in the rain with my VN750. She is 15yrs old with 9600 miles on it. It was all well until there was some hesitation, sputtering, and a drop in rpm with a rich fuel mixture smell to it. Can anyone indicate how can I go about. Should I start looking into rebuilding the Carburator on the bike?

Thank you

The new guy!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Hey Guys, Yesterday I got caught in the rain with my VN750. She is 15yrs old with 9600 miles on it. It was all well until there was some hesitation, sputtering, and a drop in rpm with a rich fuel mixture smell to it. Can anyone indicate how can I go about. Should I start looking into rebuilding the Carburator on the bike?

Thank you

The new guy!
welcome to you from KY ,but there are far too many things blamed on perfectly good carbs,did it run better after it dried out? Sounds like old dried out plug wires to me that got wet and started misfiring and not completely burning the fuel mixture. I would do plugs and wires first and check for the off chance that you have a cracked coil,if the wires and plugs don't fix it,water usually causes electrical problems to show,if it is back to running right take spray bottle with water in it and wet down your plug wires one at a time and listen for the miss to come back or rpms to drop,cheap but effective and pour some seafoam in your gas tank any way it never hurts.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I agree I think that the secondary firing got shorted with the rain. If the spray bottle is not enough, use a water hose to recreate the rain and find the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I agree I think that the secondary firing got shorted with the rain. If the spray bottle is not enough, use a water hose to recreate the rain and find the problem.
Them Texas boys don't care to bring out the big guns!!!! LOL

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Them Texas boys don't care to bring out the big guns!!!! LOL
You can also try the fire department. They can bring the big hose! That's how we do it down here...

Seriously, unless you just stopped for gas right before the sputtering started, I would think the same as the above posts!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can also try the fire department. They can bring the big hose! That's how we do it down here...

Seriously, unless you just stopped for gas right before the sputtering started, I would think the same as the above posts!
How much Seafoam should I use? (how much is safe to use).

I pull the pugs and they all seemed very carbonized, the left front was rather wet (gas) and the other rather black. those are the original plugs and wires I know they are 15 yrs old but they only have 9500 miles in them, what should the gap be? and I am assuming that the plug wires are replaceable without having to replace the coil!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
How much Seafoam should I use? (how much is safe to use).

I pull the pugs and they all seemed very carbonized, the left front was rather wet (gas) and the other rather black. those are the original plugs and wires I know they are 15 yrs old but they only have 9500 miles in them, what should the gap be? and I am assuming that the plug wires are replaceable without having to replace the coil!
The seafoam can tells you how many gallons it will treat,I really don't measure i just pour a little in from time to time.Buy some plugs yours are very close to dead if not half of them may be NGK is the way to go, Iridium, if you can afford them, and yes you can replace the wire without replacing the coils the caps screw on the coil and our bikes use copper core wire ,non resistor,you can buy it at tractor supply a lot of the old tractors used the same thing about a fifty model Ferguson or Ford wire set has enough wire to wire a VN, -spark plugs ngkdpr7ea-9 or ngkbprbea-9 are stock gapped at .8 to.9 mm

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I have replaced plugs and the wires. Bike seems to be running rich now... black smoke when reeving the engine in neutral, if it idle for to long when I give gas it seems to, almost flood the chambers and no response, once you get on the gas above 3k rpm it rides nice, also idle sometime maitains itself at about 2k.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
How much Seafoam did you put in? Seafoam will pour smoke out if you used too much.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It usually has a white smoke right? But mine is putting out a black smoke! I'd say 1/4 of the paint in a full tank!

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I've read posts where folks added 1/2 pint of SeaFoam to a tank with no reports of problems. Have you pulled the new plugs to see if they are black and wet? If yes, it could certainly be a weak spark issue, as suggested earlier. I'd follow up on that, and if things check out and you still have the problem, try adjusting the carbs to a leaner setting. If that doesn't fix it, I'd do a compression test, just to rule out oil getting to the plugs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am really thinking I just got some bad gasoline. After I refueled the tank problem has been gone away... Some how the rain got into the stations tank or something. Thank you for the help guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts