Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I messed up my mirror... Now I have what can best be described as a droopy mirror. I was hoping someone would have a way or trick to fix it.

The only constraint is the fix needs to be able to withstand the putting on and taking off of my cover. that always whacks out my mirrors. While this isn't normally a problem because the mirror can be adjusted after the cover comes off. I was thinking the fix just needs to stiffen up the joint but allow it to be occasionally bent from the cover.:doh:

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
The mirrors are put together in 2 pieces via bolt-ends. There is a nut at the base of the mirror head which uses a 17mm wrench to tighten that portion of the mirror. The base of the mirror stem is the same. Those nuts re adjustable up and down the threads. With the way the mirrors are designed, I can't see the ball joint allowing a droopy mirror.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Someone mentioned using clear nail polish to make the mirrors a little more stiff.

I use some cheap "super glue" from the 99 cents store.

·
Super Moderator
11,943 Posts
Someone mentioned using clear nail polish to make the mirrors a little more stiff..
That would have been me.....

The reason I did not suggest it here is because he keeps moving the mirrors due to covering the bike. The nail polish thing works but will only last so long if you keep moving the mirror. Clear acrylic,crazy glue,even hair spray will work btw....

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
That would have been me.....

The reason I did not suggest it here is because he keeps moving the mirrors due to covering the bike. The nail polish thing works but will only last so long if you keep moving the mirror. Clear acrylic,crazy glue,even hair spray will work btw....
Well I think moving the mirrors with the cover is unintentional... If they're stiff enough they MIGHT not move anymore when the cover is put on or taken off.

I think it's worth a shot if he really wants to keep his current mirrors on there. If not, then replacing them should be the most effective course of action.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I don't have stock mirrors. These mirrors were about 22 dollars shipped. The movement with the cover is problematic and my fear is anything which would destruct over time would drive me crazy. But all of you have given me an ideal. How can I change the ball or the housing. Maybe solder to make the ball larger so it's harder to adjust.
I just know I don't have cash for new mirrors.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Just a thought...
Maybe a very small hose clamp mounted...placing pressure against the mirror casing/ball socket ? ? ?
WilliamTech

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a thought...
Maybe a very small hose clamp mounted...placing pressure against the mirror casing/ball socket ? ? ?
WilliamTech
That is a good idea.

And what about clear Velcro.......This is just how you solve these engineering issues. Brainstorming.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Duct tape (Im forbidden to use that anymore) or weld em....mebbe taking a center punch to the outside section of the ball would help too...reason they get loose, is that dirt gets in, and the thinner metal of the outer ball wears away...giving it a punch would create the surface friction again.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Duct tape (Im forbidden to use that anymore) or weld em....mebbe taking a center punch to the outside section of the ball would help too...reason they get loose, is that dirt gets in, and the thinner metal of the outer ball wears away...giving it a punch would create the surface friction again.
Ok, I like the punch idea....surface friction. Duct tape is the real deal. I guess another issue would be if someone else rides the bike. The mirrors would need to be adjustable. Last thing I would want is someone saying mirrors don't matter then they take my bike for a ride and get into an accident.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Go the punch route then...they'll remain adjustible...duct tape, not so much...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts