Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive tried some rubber washers and that didnt seem to help to much. To make mister KM happy, I may put my stock mirrors back on just to check for a difference, but if not..
what else can be tried to eliminate mirror vibration

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
I put stock mirrows back on and saw a noticeable difference! Plus now I like stock better than after market!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I despise (loathe entirely!!!!) the stock round mirrors. I just put the emgo lil' cruiser mirrors on mine and haven't noticed much vibration yet. But I've only ridden around the neighborhood so far.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Oh Well, as always to each our own!!

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Ive tried some rubber washers and that didnt seem to help to much. To make mister KM happy, I may put my stock mirrors back on just to check for a difference, but if not..
what else can be tried to eliminate mirror vibration

Not sure why I'd be happy about it, but some mirrors just don't work as well as others. Even the stock mirrors seem to have a spot in the rpm range where they vibrate some.

I used some Emego teardrops that worked well. They sell rubber mirror mounts, but everyone that's tried them on the Vulcan reported they just made things worse.

Make sure your steering head bearings are torqued right and try moving the handlebars back or forward a little bit and make sure you tighten the bar clamp evenly.

Do your mirrors have a mirror that is separate from an outer shell? These tend to vibrate badly compared to ones that are a solid housing/shell with a mirror glued in.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
didnt think about the handlebar clamp.. i'll check that.. these mirrors were pretty cheap on ebay, i think the mirror is seperate from the housing

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
didnt think about the handlebar clamp.. i'll check that.. these mirrors were pretty cheap on ebay, i think the mirror is seperate from the housing
OK. Not sure the best way to do this as not familiar with what you have.... But a rider on another forum said he "injected" some spray in insulating foam ( the kind you can buy in a can) between the mirror and the inside of the housing.

·
Registered
856 Posts
OK. Not sure the best way to do this as not familiar with what you have.... But a rider on another forum said he "injected" some spray in insulating foam ( the kind you can buy in a can) between the mirror and the inside of the housing.
If you go this route, you might want to also cover up the foam with a bead of silicone as this type of foam will start to rot/break apart rather quickly once it gets wet.

·
Registered
194 Posts
hey dave, i bought some $20 mirrors at the local bike shop years ago, they vibrated sooooo bad they were worthless. they took them on return, with the agreement that i get a credit instead of a refund, since i had installed them. fair enough, i thought. i spent a good hour looking over all their mirrors, hated the shape of them all (maltese crosses and tear drops just aren't for me!) and finally the counter guy says "come look at the kuryakyn catalogue" so i picked out the largest ovals kury makes, they special ordered them, cost me $100! i figured they would be the only high dollar mirrors i would ever have. guess what, they vibrate as bad as the cheap ones. i thought lots of money would solve the problem, it didn't. last year my bike rolled forward when parked, and i busted one (although i did get a new stem for $20). my stock mirrors don't vibrate so much.

i kind of forgot about it, until i was doing some planning on a rd350 "rat rod" build. one of the people really active in rd350 restorations is an hour away, he has a bike shop that specializes in the old buggers, well he sells a thingy called "handlebar snake" and swears it has made a night and day difference in the comfort of his own rd350 (2 stroke 2 cylinder street bikes that are kinda like a swarm of pissed off bumble bees and known for vibration, causing the hands to tingle really bad). i have no idea if they are worth the money, or work, but here it is for y'all to ponder:

http://www.barsnake.com/

no endorsement on my end! haven't ridden a bike so equipped yet! and probably a mild pain to install! anyways just more info for the info pool!

cheers, john

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Well if you don't get'em fixed, just come and sit on my Sportster and look in the mirrows... Them you may be happier with them...lol...:blah:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Hey Sparking..... I forgot about those things. (bar snake) Many sportbikes have weighted "bar ends" that help with vibration too. I remember a guy that filled his bars up with some kind of silicone gel and then put a set of iron rods in each end. You did feel a difference.

My RD had a rpm zone where the mirrors seemed to just blur the image... Oddly when I installed a pair of bar end mirrors into my cut down bars (clubmans of course) the image was solid up through redline.

I eventually installed solid aluminum clip ons, so I had to ditch the mirrors.....

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts