Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just today the front disk brake started to squeal even on normal or light usage. What is suggested that I can just spray on to clean minor dust? I want to avoid any type that is motorcycle only. Can I get something that can be used on auto's as well? No cycle dealers in the area.

I live in a area with a lot of construction and farms. Dust and dirt are normal. So I'm just trying to maintain clean brakes in a dirty environment.

Thanks for any help.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
You might just need to give the brake pads and disk a light going over with some fine sandpaper to remove any glazing thats built up on them.
Some anti-squeal behind the pads might help too.

Do you know how many miles are on the brakes?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
If you use some kind of brake cleaner (acetone), that'll dissolve anything that might be on the rotors - but make sure you keep it away from rubber parts. It'll dissolve those, too, if contact is too long.

One product that Hyper's talking about is something called "Disc Brake Quiet" (mfg'd by CRC, sold at NAPA under that name). Use it behind the brake pad to eliminate chatter.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
You can used compressed air and blow out the area between the pads and the disk. Use caution as you would not want to be inhaling this.

Then clean both sides with some BrakeKleen, as Cindy said, for brakes only.

If still noisy, some antichatter on the back of the pads may help.

Possible the pads are glazed and need to be replaced? Brake lever pressure any higher than before?

Jon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts