Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The odometer on my Toyota Camry will soon roll past 100,000 miles, and I expect to double that, at least. But I'm wondering: assuming that I keep the bike well-maintained and garaged, how many miles can I realistically expect to put on my 2006 VN 750?! This is my fourth bike. I didn't put much mileage on the other three, riding them only for recreation. But I'm commuting on my Vulcan and expect to log a lot of miles. (Right now I'm on pace to ride 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year.)

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
One big difference in a bike and a car is that your highway cruizing speed on a bike usually means 4K to 5K rpms. So cars will typically go for longer miles than a bike before the need to do any sort of rebuilding to the motor.

Gypsy had over 100K miles on her 750 when she disappeared.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Hoot from Oklahoma just passed 90,000 miles with his.. Billy Greer had 110,600 on his bike too.
Yes, getting to and passing the 100,000 mile mark is possible with proper care. Both bikes have regular maintenance and very few problems.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Shhh! Don't tell anybody about your affairs! Especially the spouse!

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Mine has done nearly 80,000 miles now. The engine is still very sweet - only major problem has been the final drive/driveshaft splines stripping around 6 years ago. I regularly change the oil & filter & try to avoid short trips where the engine doesn't reach full temperature. I think short trips are the enemy of all engines. I have a 1987 Volvo 760 station wagon that has done 290,000 miles on the original engine & transmission & it still refuses to die!
With careful maintenance & riding gently when the engine is cold I am sure you can achieve a good mileage on yours. These are great bikes &, were (in my opinion) very much underestimated when they were sold here in the UK.
Best of luck. :beerchug:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey rector, our Camry hit 100k 35K ago and still runs like the day it was new(96) As far as the bike I remember the tech telling me when I bought my 94 new that with normal maintainance you should not expect less than 75K out of them.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
to answer your question, from what you have done on your previous bikes.... all of that plus some...

also wanted to debate the engine speed issue..... granted there is more wear, but i dont think it is the ultimate limiter on a lifespan of an engine.... honda cars are typically high reving engines and they are fine... as are alot of european cars like opel which i think its the calibra has one of the highest redlines i've ever seen. i think its more on the tolerances and quality of the materials used that is the primary factor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts