Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding the other day through a neighborhood street, and I momentarily had both hands off the bars.
I ran over a manhole cover, and the front started wobbling quite a bit!
I was able to stop it immediately by grabbing onto the bars again.
Is this normal? I've never had an issue when riding two or one handed.

I'm able to recreate it by riding without hands and swiftly bumping the bars.
Keeping my hands very close, I rode it out a bit to see if it would get better or worse and it really doesn't change at all.
It seems like it doesn't increase to the point of getting out of control, but it's still unnerving if unexpected.
I also noticed that shifting my weight forward or backward didn't have any effect on it.

I haven't noticed any handling issues beyond this. The front tire still has decent tread, though it has about 10-15k miles on it.
The front wheel bearing is from my previous bike, so it's at around 37-40k miles on it.
I don't have any looseness in the wheel bearing, or the steering.

Since it's never happened with one or two handed riding, and it's never been uncontrollable, I don't feel unsafe riding it.
I just didn't know if this was normal, or an early indication of a problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,136 Posts
It’s normal....on some bikes. I always advise not riding a motorcycle with both your hands off the bars, but what you experienced is an oscillation that’s caused by some type of secondary input..(running over something or bumping the wheel slightly) and can be done on many bikes. Factors at play are steering geometry, tire wear/pressure, road surface, etc, so not every motorcycle will do this, and some may be worse than others.
Speeding up can sometimes cancel it....but would anyway from grabbing the throttle.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Research head shake, might have something going on that isn't bad enough yet to cause head shake while your hands are on the bars.

Fall away test, more research. Used to check the head (neck) bearing adjustment.

If you get head shake with your hands on the bars, slowing down can stop it.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,426 Posts
Check your framerail on the kickstand side for rust. Don't ask me how I know

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I was riding the other day through a neighborhood street, and I momentarily had both hands off the bars.
I ran over a manhole cover, and the front started wobbling quite a bit!
I was able to stop it immediately by grabbing onto the bars again.
Is this normal? I've never had an issue when riding two or one handed.

I'm able to recreate it by riding without hands and swiftly bumping the bars.
Keeping my hands very close, I rode it out a bit to see if it would get better or worse and it really doesn't change at all.
It seems like it doesn't increase to the point of getting out of control, but it's still unnerving if unexpected.
I also noticed that shifting my weight forward or backward didn't have any effect on it.

I haven't noticed any handling issues beyond this. The front tire still has decent tread, though it has about 10-15k miles on it.
The front wheel bearing is from my previous bike, so it's at around 37-40k miles on it.
I don't have any looseness in the wheel bearing, or the steering.

Since it's never happened with one or two handed riding, and it's never been uncontrollable, I don't feel unsafe riding it.
I just didn't know if this was normal, or an early indication of a problem.
I had same issue turned out the stem bolt underneath the handle bar clamp was loose I put thread lock blue on it and problem solved . It was easy fix

Reactions: dirtrack650

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I had same issue turned out the stem bolt underneath the handle bar clamp was loose I put thread lock blue on it and problem solved . It was easy fix
Yep. Checking your steering stem bearing spanner nut as well as fork tube bolts is a good idea on older bikes.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Yep. Checking your steering stem bearing spanner nut as well as fork tube bolts is a good idea on older bikes.
I was referring to the center bolt underneath the handlebar clamp . I removed the bar cover and then used a adjustable wrench I did not need it the nut was hand tight . The spanner adjustment is for adjusting the amount of pressure needed to turn front wheel side to side . I used Blue thread lock . Fixed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts