Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the middle drive unit has it's own oil supply? I see what appears to be a drain plug? Course it could also be the plug hidding the clutch rod too, I suppose?
Anyway, if it's got it's own oil, I want to change it. I would assume it uses 90wt gear oil? Don't see anything in Clymers?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
No seperate oil in the trans. It is only the engine and trans together and the rear drive.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
it is called the Front Bevel Gear in the clymer... it uses the engine oil. and now the clutch rod is not inside of it. HERE is the breakdown of the Middle Drive Unit... Front Bevel Gear

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that GREAT connection to Ron Ayers site. On another note now I connect the name to the post elsewhere that he passed away?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
NP
so are you leaking from the bevel gear? whats the problem? If you are leaking oil, it would probably be easier just to replace the o-rings, because you are still going to need to purchase them while replacing the front bevel gear unit]

you will need at a minimum:

and you might need
92049A

ther might be more that I am missing... I need to pull mine to replace the gasket 11060, but just been too scared of how big of a ob that might become. I don't have a service manual in front of me so I can't see how big of a job it might become.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mines not leaking. It's just that I'm finding that prev. owner(Grandson of original owner) didn't take care of it very well. Had to adj. clutch,R&R tires,fork seals ,all fluids, replace broken screw in front master., free up the timing chain on the front cycl and generally clean everything! Man, I hate it when I see people not take care of a potential "weapon"!

But it really runs well now. Plenty of pwr too. Although the low end is a little sluggish. Probably the lack of the cross-over pipe underneath.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
actually degoating adds a little extra pep... I bet you are only firing on one cylinder, its a common problem on these these bikes... search "firing on one cylinder" and you will see what i mean. I never knew how much power I didn't have until I rebuilt my bike last winter. are you coastered and shaved?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, I don't know? Haven't ck'd that yet. It's def. running on both cycl. Though since I filled the tank for the 1st time it is hesitating now and then. I switched the fuel to res and it went away. But now it's back whether on res. or norm. Prob. should of rinsed the tank before filling it the 1st time. Oh, well. I'll add that to the list;-)
Read about that "Seafoam" stuff. As I understand you simply add it to the fuel tank and run it through?
Another item popped up this afternoon. Seems one of the fork seals (just replaced em) let go. But I almost figured as much. The side wall of the lower leg had a pretty good digg in it. I cleaned it up some. But evidently not enough? So, Off to Ebay to buy a used fork leg.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
use the seafoam gas treatment as per the bottles instructions.. it is spendy, but worth its weight in petrol. and a bottle should last you several months... this forum got me hooked on it, and I use it in every thing now. if the seafoam doesn't work through the tank, some one once mentioned using a syringe and forcing the seafoam backwards through the fuel drains on the bottom of the carbs... this loosens up anything stuck inside the needles.

How do you know you are running on both cylinders, are both pipes the close to the same temp... my left pipe would get warm, but not as hot as my right one... my right pipe would melt my glove to the pipe in the nanosecond my gloved hand touched the pipe... my right pipe I could hold the pipe for a few seconds before it got to warm to touch.

another thought is you might have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna get some today. Blowing back through the float bowls will work as I've done it more than once over the years. Also doing the same to the outlet hose on the petcock works as well. But if it persists, we all know too well what must be done :(
As to the cyl drop, Yes I can say unequivocally that it's working although at times it does drop out, though only at higher speeds.
Either way it's tank off time and front forks day(sigh)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Originally Posted by dynajim
But it really runs well now. Plenty of pwr too. Although the low end is a little sluggish. Probably the lack of the cross-over pipe underneath.
actually degoating adds a little extra pep... I bet you are only firing on one cylinder, its a common problem on these these bikes... search "firing on one cylinder" and you will see what i mean. I never knew how much power I didn't have until I rebuilt my bike last winter. are you coastered and shaved?
slim, I have been been led to understand that degoating lowers back pressure and can reduce low end torque/acceleration, as Jim notes in his post. Conversely the lower back pressure can help make more top end horsepower and speed.

dynajim, a shave or "earshave" on the vn750 is removal of the stock air filter housings (ears) on each side, and replacing them with V&N filter pods attached directly to the carbs. Makes more power :) and burns more fuel. :( Usually combined with aftermarket exhaust.

Coasters are stainless steel or chrome plates that replace the reed valves (emissions crap) on the cylinder heads. Check vulcan verses for coastering and marbleling.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
slim, I have been been led to understand that degoating lowers back pressure and can reduce low end torque/acceleration, as Jim notes in his post. Conversely the lower back pressure can help make more top end horsepower and speed.

dynajim, a shave or "earshave" on the vn750 is removal of the stock air filter housings (ears) on each side, and replacing them with V&N filter pods attached directly to the carbs. Makes more power :) and burns more fuel. :( Usually combined with aftermarket exhaust.

Coasters are stainless steel or chrome plates that replace the reed valves (emissions crap) on the cylinder heads. Check vulcan verses for coastering and marbleling.
Did I hear "more power"?? I'm all for that!! Gonna ck those verses on the coasters. Course then I suppose I gotta re-jet.Thanks again for all these great tips!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts