Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my 150/90 MT66 today. She had just over 17,000 miles on her and was getting a bit thin. I went with a 170/80 Michelin Commander II and squeeze just didn't work, too wide. So let some air out and sort of drop kicked it in, with a bit of pushing on the sidewall to get it past the swing arm and the final drive. But after that no problem with fitment. The Commander II was just $30 more that the 170/80 MT66, in fact the Michelin Commander II 150/90 cost more that the 170/80 for some strange reason, but with their claim about almost twice the mileage, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Aired back up to 32psi and put about 25 miles on it. Still have to get it scuffed in good, but she rides really nice. 100% better than the old MT66. Now this could be because the MT66 was past her prime, but I can tell a big difference, but my scoot now handles like a different bike.

So now just to ride it and see what mileage this thing is going to give me. One thing I did notice is at 70mph I have a drop of 200+ RPM, slightly taller tire and a lot more tread on the II too.

And since I had the tire off, I re-lubed the splines again.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I just ordered the michelin commander II for my bike 2 days ago. My mechanic said this is the best tire and for that extra 40.00 it's suppose to get more miles on it. He has never steered me wrong in the past so I hope we made the right choice. snowing here in my neck of the woods but when it hits 35 degrees I will try out these new tires.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it hits 35 here, we roll up the sidewalks. Get to ride just about at least once a day, everyday, rainy days excluded of course.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I just installed the Michelin Commander II on the rear of my Sportster after getting only 2,402 mi. on a Dunlop D404...:(...
I e-mailed Dunlop and was told not to run the D404 on the Sportster as it would not wear & give handling problems, but to run the D401... I can vouch for both on the D404...
I too saw Michelin's near double milage claim, but had I been getting 17k on mine I would not have strayed...lol...
I ordered my Michelin 150/80/16 from Motorcycle Superstore for $130 delivered, and paid $22 for mounting and balance, I thought that was very reasonable...
So, lets kinda keep in touch as to how these new Commanders are doing...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts