Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
IBEW 915 Electrician
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a battery source on ebay for MF batteries. A friend of mine bought one and he doesn't seem to have had any problems. I ordered ordered one for my VN 750 and when I got it was not in any original packaging but was stuffed in a USPS flat rate box just big enough to allow some padding and the battery itself could only be laid on its side for shipping.

My question: Can a MF battery be laid on it's side for several days without developing issues? I put the battery on charge as soon as I got it and it never got a full charge. I use an Accumate charger for MC batteries.

Now I have to ship the battery back for a refund. Good price at $50. But I don't trust this brand. So I just ordered a Westco. More $$ but less hassle.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
MF, but was it a wet cell? Did it have a vent, a place for a vent hose?

A wet cell that's been filled should never be laid down. A wet cell that's dry won't ever charge up.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
MF batteries that are AGM batteries, (Absorbed Glass Mat) can be layed on their side. So can the new Lithium Ion batteries.

Those 50 buck eBay batteries (from china) have had many reports of problems. You get what you pay for is how I see it. A good AGM battery should cost 75 bucks and up. Lithium Ions are around $130.

Westco batteries are good with only a few customer reported problems.

·
IBEW 915 Electrician
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was an AGM. The way it was packed it couldn't have taken good shock. The package didn't conform entirely to USPS regs nor was it anywhere near professional. Live and learn.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
The AGM can be mounted and used in odd positions, but the shock probably killed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts