Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this happens with household rechargeable batteries (for cameras and stuff, power tools, etc.), but will an MF battery eventually lose its ability to recharge over time as well? I mean, I would think "yes", but another opinion would be good. The reason I'm asking is that the battery that I pulled off of McKnight yesterday (and that was at 11 volts by the side of the road) has been hooked up to a trickle charger for more than 24 hours, and is still not fully charged. It's not like it had far to go, either.

Took McKnight out this afternoon - Orleans' r/r and battery, and the new voltmeter in place. Running beautifully - 15.0 v on down to about 13.5 for most of the ride. 12.8 on shut-down in the garage.

:confused:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, they sure will. I had a 5 month old AGM battery. The day before yesterday I was out for a ride and my volt meter showed low voltage. I thought OH CRAP, because just in June I did the stator/rr job. First thing I check was battery voltage. It was at 12.3 so I put the battery on a charger and charger it up. After the battery sat for less than 2 hours it was back down to 12.25. So I took it back to Wal-mart, they tested it and said it was good. Well then, why wont it stay charged to 12.8v which is the minimum a good battery should hold. Long story short, I walked out with a new battery, new warranty at no additional cost to me and the bike runs great again. So they can go bad just as any battery, that is the only reason I got the Everstart Maxx ---warranty!!!! But after only 5 months I dont know that I would recommend it. Maybe I just got a bad one

Cheman

·
Registered
553 Posts
Had the same thing happen on my new VN900 this spring,(MF from the factory) 3 days after taking it home it would not start. Put it on the charger all day and when I got home from work it popped right off. Took it to work the next day and it ran great. Barely started that night to come home. Took it to the dealer and it tested bad.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I'm guessing that what we're calling mf batteries are essentially the same thing we put in our cars, trucks, vans, ect. I recently had to replace the battery in my honda. 4 years old on a 5 year warranty. I totaly milked it till it wouldn't even take a charge. Point is, If man made it... it can fail!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good, thanks! I mean, not good that it's shot, but I'd rather replace the battery than have to pull the engine again and see whazzup with the charging system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts