Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
metzeler tires are a favorite replacement for our bikes. for those of you that have them, are you using the ME880 MARATHON XXL or ME880 HIGH MILEAGE TOURING TIRE?

everybody refers to the me880's, but which ones?

I'll need new tires sometime soon and my local shop doesn't carry them, so I'll need to order them myself.

thanks,
jeff

·
Now what
400 Posts
I'm not positive, but I don't think the XXL come in a size that fits our bikes. On other hand, http://tinyurl.com/ygx748 these do.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I have the ME 880 Marathons on mine, they dont say XXL on them.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
I think they are one in the same..... arent they?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One is radial and the other is not.

Any comments on which is preferred?

My local shop, which won't stock Metzlers, will, for $100 balance and mount any pair of tires I provide. A turnkey job, as long as I provide the tires. Just bring my bike in for the day and pickup later. Does this seem reasonable?

jeff

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
My local shop, which won't stock Metzlers, will, for $100 balance and mount any pair of tires I provide. A turnkey job, as long as I provide the tires. Just bring my bike in for the day and pickup later. Does this seem reasonable?

jeff

If they're taking the wheels off, probably about right (in which right is still too much !!!)

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
I plan to do my own tire change. I will try and video it and make a movie database so u can see...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just put a Dunlop D404 on the back of mine. It is much better than the old stock tire. Cycle Gear will mount and balance for $30 if you bring in a wheel and tire, or $20 if you buy it there. I couldn't afford the ME880's

·
Geek
872 Posts

jeff
Bring bike in with tires. They remove wheels from bike, mount new tires, balance, re-install both wheels ? I would pay that in a heart beat !

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
One is radial and the other is not.

Any comments on which is preferred?

jeff
Local Honda dealer charged me $ 22/pc out the door to dismount the old and mount and balance new tires I provided.

Front goes off and on pretty fast. May as well use the rear off as time for a spline lube anyway.

Jon

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
When you mentioned.. "One is a radial" that eliminates that style right away. We run bias. Radials are a dufferent design in regards to the sidewall flex.
You want the bias Metzler for better cornering and handling.

I pay $20 a tire at Conway Cycle for mounting and balancing but I have to take the wheels and tires in. So $40 with me doing the labor. Figure an hour to take off and put on.. $60 an hour.. sounds about right for dealer costs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Anybody try a 170 on the rear?

Hello, I really enjoy reading the forums and getting so much info. I need to replace my tires and after reading so much about the Metzeler tires - I'm sold! Before I order my tires I was wondering if anybody know if the 170 will fit on the rear. Thanks...

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
People have posted that it will but very tight, I would recomend going to the 110 on the front thoug. I have done that and realy helps on cornering.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for the info! I was thinking the same about the front. Long time ago had a Bridgestone 110 and I thought it made a difference...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts