Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to order the parts for my engine rebuild and a did a quick calculation of the cost of the o-rings I'm ordering. For the dozen or so O-rings it's about $50.00 through BikeBandit.com

I figure I could get a complete metric O-ring kit for that price. I'm just wondering how many of these O-rings are going to me un-standard in diameter.

I know one is listed at 27.7mm (spark plug retainer o-ring) and that probably won't come in a kit.

Anybody have experience with replacing o-rings with non OEM ones? Does anybody know a good place to buy a metric set? Google is letting me down.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey Roach, you and I do live in a country that converted to metric 34 years ago. Have you checked Bolt Supply House, NAPA, Canadian Tire, Princess Auto or any farm dealerships. Case/International stocks some metric bolts. Don`t know about Metric O-rings.

Could check hardware stores to see if they have a decent selection of O-rings.
I got one at a transmission supply house one time too.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Roach, you and I do live in a country that converted to metric 34 years ago. Have you checked Bolt Supply House, NAPA, Canadian Tire, Princess Auto or any farm dealerships. Case/International stocks some metric bolts. Don`t know about Metric O-rings.

Could check hardware stores to see if they have a decent selection of O-rings.
I got one at a transmission supply house one time too.
I checked all of the mentioned websites with the exception of The Bolt Supply House.

Princess auto carries a couple imperial o-ring kits, but nothing metric.

I'm going to call around town and see what I can track down.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I purchased my metric kit from harbor freight for 12 dollars has most ring except the spark plug and thermostate houseing

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased my metric kit from harbor freight for 12 dollars has most ring except the spark plug and thermostate houseing
Isn't it funny that the Canadian Equivalent (Princess Auto) to Harbor Freight doesn't carry the metric kit.

That's exactly what I want. :(

Harbor Freight Metric O-Ring Kit

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose I could get something likethis off ebay for $30.0

·
Registered
335 Posts
you can't order from harbor freights website and ship to canada?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
458 Posts
I went to ACE hardware when i had to replace my aft cyl coolent tube o-ring, took the old one in, matched the best i could, must of been right it doesnt leak.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Canada wasn't an option in the checkout.
off topic but I noticed in your sig line you also have a Can -Am Qualifer 250.You got any Pics?I owned both a 175 and a 250 Qualifer,bought the 175 new.It was the first new bike I ever bought and as I recall it was a great running little bike and with it's headlight and rear light it was street legal back then.The little leather pouch on the back fender was neat but fairly useless though,glad to se there are still a few around:smiley_th

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
off topic but I noticed in your sig line you also have a Can -Am Qualifer 250.You got any Pics?I owned both a 175 and a 250 Qualifer,bought the 175 new.It was the first new bike I ever bought and as I recall it was a great running little bike and with it's headlight and rear light it was street legal back then.The little leather pouch on the back fender was neat but fairly useless though,glad to se there are still a few around:smiley_th
I have a couple. A little muddy.

It's an excelent bike for sure.

It was given to me because of a "seized" motor. The previous owner didn't know what was wrong with it, only that it wouldn't turn over and had been sitting fo 20 years.

A buddy and I pulled the engine and started to tear it apart. It has a rotax engine with a rotory intake valve. When we pulled the valve cover off we were astonished to find a HUGE woodscrew jammed in the rotary valve. I don't know how it would have gotton in there, as the airfilter was installed. Perhaps foul paly?

I threw in a used valve in from ebay and it fired right up. With the exception of some new shocks in the rear, it's stock.

Since I bought my KTM last spring I haven't got to ride it much. I actually just bought new tires for it. Can't wait to see what it can do when it's not on a bald rear tire.

Even though they haven't made them since the early 80's, there is quite a large following online.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I have a couple. A little muddy.

It's an excelent bike for sure.

It was given to me because of a "seized" motor. The previous owner didn't know what was wrong with it, only that it wouldn't turn over and had been sitting fo 20 years.

A buddy and I pulled the engine and started to tear it apart. It has a rotax engine with a rotory intake valve. When we pulled the valve cover off we were astonished to find a HUGE woodscrew jammed in the rotary valve. I don't know how it would have gotton in there, as the airfilter was installed. Perhaps foul paly?

I threw in a used valve in from ebay and it fired right up. With the exception of some new shocks in the rear, it's stock.

Since I bought my KTM last spring I haven't got to ride it much. I actually just bought new tires for it. Can't wait to see what it can do when it's not on a bald rear tire.

Even though they haven't made them since the early 80's, there is quite a large following online.
That still looks good for it's age, mine was a '77 or a '78 it has been a while LOL.My cousin still has his MX6 and it is still a handful,that left side kickerwas hard to get used to,I remember the unusual sound the rotary valve,gave those engines, everyone used to say there was a marble bouncing around in the exhaust(They heard them as we blew by them, usually):)mine looked like this one,except it had a whole fender in front,lol
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/275367/

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts