Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's what you don't want to see when you drain your oil.

I have an old 86 parts bike that I bought for the front and rear suspension for a project bike. I didn't know exactly what condition the engine was in, although I knew it hadn't run for a considerable period of time. The intakes, exhausts, and cooling system hoses had all been off for an undertermined amount of time, probably allowing moisture inside the jugs.

When I drained the oil in preparation for dropping the engine out of the frame, this is what it looked like...

CD in Frederick, OK

Attachments

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Looks like the tell-tale signs of a balancer going bad!

·
Now what
400 Posts
Dianna said:
Looks like the tell-tale signs of a balancer going bad!
I don't see any chunks of balancer though. I think Beavis saw large pieces of the balancer when he changed the oil in the wife's bike. The screen looks like hell, but that could be from rough handling. I don't know if it pertains to the screen's condition, but I notice that the spring is in the picture, but not the washer. Was there a washer? That amount of metal in the oil makes it look like that engine is really messed up inside. (hope that's not too technical for y'all) :) I guess the good news is that there is a screen present.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Check out Beavis' page here http://www.fortunecity.com/bennyhills/radner/499/
The metal shavings are from the balancer scraping the case. When the rubber hardens or starts to deteriate, the balancer no longer holds true and starts "wobbling" and scores the inner casing.
Granted it could be something else but given the age of the bike and sitting where things could dry up.. I'm betting on the balancer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Holy cow, are those chunks of metal in the oil too?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ironman said:
... I don't know if it pertains to the screen's condition, but I notice that the spring is in the picture, but not the washer. Was there a washer? That amount of metal in the oil makes it look like that engine is really messed up inside. (hope that's not too technical for y'all) :) I guess the good news is that there is a screen present.
The washer is missing.

I think you're right, the engine is really messed up inside.

CD in Frederick, OK

·
Now what
400 Posts
Ol Poop said:
Part of them are small chunks of metal, but most of the larger ones are a fiber or rubber. I'm not sure what all is in there...

CD in Frederick, OK
Well, if you have chunks of rubber I'll take The Balancer Is Falling Apart for $100. The good news is if the screen has kept the metal out of the pump, you should be able to replace the balancer, clean up the sump, replace the screen and get back on the road. Don't try and ride the bike until then, though. If that balancer totally fails, a chunk of shrapnel will put a hole in your case.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I just found a 1 inch or so thin strip of a rubbery substance in my screen. Its an 05 that had 5000 miles when i bought it in 09'. Should i be stressed?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
If it is a strip it is probable a piece of FIBG (Form in place gasket) No big thing.
When they seal the case they use FIPG to help seal from oil leakd and pieces that squees out sometimes fall off.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
WHEW! I was worried! Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts