Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Iv taken upon myself to do a quick test on a newly installed mechanical seal. I searched high and low for info on leakage tests that have been done after the seal was replaced and i could not find any. So i decided to come up with a way of test it myself. The reason for the replacement of the seal was because of a coolant leak into the oil. The sealed bearing looked good as did the impeller and shaft so none of them were replaced.
Right so first things first.
Install the new seal.
Next get some gasket paper and cut it to the size in the picture.
Place the gasket around the water pump.
Next put the clutch side cover on an install the 3 bolts around the water pump. No need to install them all.
Next thing is to seal off the location for the radiator pipe. Use anything that will hold the water. I just used plastic and a hose clip.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Part 2.
Then just fill it with water in the location of the metal coolant pipe.
Next attach a drill to the impeller shaft. Take note that a quick spin by hand first is nessecery as depending on the gasket paper thickness you impeller might rub the outer cover.
Final step is to give her a spin with the drill. In my case it did not leak so the seal fixed the problem. If you are unsure just leave the water sit for a while and see does it seep passed the bearing. If not the jobs a good one.
Hope this might help anyone who needs to install and test theres. Here is a link to the video of the drill test.https://youtu.be/va3L2YabOjM

Attachments

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Neat test! Was thinking there must be a part 2. Now I see, said the blind squirrel.

Brand new engine block or you just painted it to titty condition? 'Bout the cleanest ever seen.

Nice work.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Technical term might be Maniacal Seal. It's an insane setup.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Freshly painted. Got sick of looking at the dull gray. Yeh the seals are a real pain in the ass but its done for another bit now anyway.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
We like pics here, show us when you can.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im just in the middle of putting her back together. Still waiting on gaskets to arrive so once its back together i will post a few pics

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Nice! Was about to say something corny like it's the crown jewel or Hope diamond.

Clutch cover polished?

Seems I have a fetish for highly polished aluminum. 😉 Mm, shiney!

Keep pics coming .

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice! Was about to say something corny like it's the crown jewel or Hope diamond.

Clutch cover polished?

Seems I have a fetish for highly polished aluminum. 😉 Mm, shiney!

Keep pics coming .
lol yes as is the stator cover. Im still waiting on gaskets to arrive via DHL from germany. Should be here in the next day or 2 hopefully. So more pics as soon as its complete. Might aswell lube the splines again while i wait 😁. I just hope when all said and done that i still dont have coolant pissing into the oil 🤞

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
No gaskets on ebay?

Splines again? If it ain't broke don't fix it. :)

Managed to get to my desk, pics much better here. I polished the stator side.

Looks good! Missed a spot on the manifolds, :) But it's dicey taking them off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts