Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bring this up - yet again - but, has anyone actually mounted the ME 880 170/80 rear tire on a VN750? I have heard of Continental, Dunlop, IRC, and others, but not specifically the Metzeler.

I mounted an ME 88 170/80-15 yesterday and it quite definately rubs the swingarm on the left and the brake strut on the right. It was a PITA to get into swingarm too, but that was expected. The side ridge of the tire is too high/wide. Looking at pictures and descriptions, it sounds like the ME 880 is supposed to be a little more rounded and narrower than the ME 88.

Any info is appreciated.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
I've not heard of anyone using the Metzler 880 and the side ridge may very well be the reason why.
I know when JD first posted about the 170/80 ture he mentioned that some tires with a side ridge won't fit. I just don't know if he tried that with the Metzler tire of some other tire.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have 170/80-15 ME880's on my vn750. I just checked again, and there's nothing rubbing. I also have the Progressive rear shocks that lower the bike, so that might have something to do with it. On the front I have 110/90-19 ME 880's as well.

-MikeS

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
a few of us have them... i currently have mine, just waiting a lil more before installing them...

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
The 880 does have a different sidewall design than the 88 (the ridge design Dianna refers to).

How much of it is rubbing?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the tire inflated to 40 psi, the very tip of the triangular edge of the tread is rubbing on each side. I like the tire (did I mention that it was free?) and I'm thinking about shaving it down just a little bit. I think I will run the bike in first gear with the rear tire elevated on the center stand and very, very gingerly run a sharp chisel into the side crown of the tread. I wonder if that will affect the warranty? :)

Does anyone have a better idea?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
If it was free who cares about a warenty

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I think I will run the bike in first gear with the rear tire elevated on the center stand and very, very gingerly run a sharp chisel into the side crown of the tread. I wonder if that will affect the warranty? :)

Does anyone have a better idea?
I don't think I'd use a chisel. One slip and there goes the entire tire (and maybe a finger).
Do you happen to have a block plane, which you could then use similarly to the chisel (but WITHOUT the bike running, too dangerous) and get a controlled depth of cut. This may slightly effect the handling of the tire.

As for any warranty, it might be voided anyhow, seeing as it doesn't properly fit to begin with, but that's just a guess. If you cut it to make it fit, I'd think that'd most certainly void it.

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
Any,as they will put it "damage" to the sidewall is not covered under Tire manufactures warranty.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don't know. Sounds risky to me. First off you could injure yourself trying to shave it down as mentioned earlier. Also with the sidewall thinned, it seems you would increase your risk of a blow out. A tire blowout at speed on a motorcycle doesn't sound like a good situation to me.

Whatever you decide good luck, be safe, we like having you around to post.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
It doesn't make any sense to me why yours would be rubbing and others using the same tire don't have the problem. Lowering the bike wouldn't make any difference since the swingarm and brake rods are a side to side clearance issue. You sure it's a 170? Strange!

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
It doesn't make any sense to me why yours would be rubbing and others using the same tire don't have the problem. Lowering the bike wouldn't make any difference since the swingarm and brake rods are a side to side clearance issue. You sure it's a 170? Strange!
he was trying to fit an me88 on there....

we need someone to make a wider swing arm ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just put it on!

I just put a MZ 880 170/80-15 on this evening, and I don't have any rubbing on mine at all. I am very happy with the new tire and I have noticed an RPM drop at 70 mph. Now it is 4600rpm instead of 5000rpm.:motorcycl

1 - 13 of 13 Posts