Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I noticed the bike is getting somewhat noisey when its cold, sounds kinda like lifters tapping and general marbles rattling. I am guessing it is time to do the ACCT to MCCT changeout. At least from what I read, that is the general sound it could make when its time...

Anyhow, I ordered a set of MCCT's from TOC manufacturing and was wanting to know if there is anything I need to be careful with or watch out for when installing them. I have the TOC instructions and will follow them closely, but personal experiences from those who have done it are always best. I am planning to do the work on them this weekend, change the oil, and then take a lengthy ride with my son down south.

Also, does the MCCT need to be 'readjusted' after installed and ridden? I want to be sure I have everything with me if I need to perform an adjustment while on the road.

Thanks guys. I always value your help.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Anyhow, I ordered a set of MCCT's from TOC manufacturing and was wanting to know if there is anything I need to be careful with or watch out for when installing them. I have the TOC instructions and will follow them closely, but personal experiences from those who have done it are always best. I am planning to do the work on them this weekend, change the oil, and then take a lengthy ride with my son down south.

Also, does the MCCT need to be 'readjusted' after installed and ridden? I want to be sure I have everything with me if I need to perform an adjustment while on the road.

Thanks guys. I always value your help.
Before fitting make sure to back out the adjustment bolt a ways so that when you tighten the housing up you don't push on the guide and chain. Basically tightened the adjustment bolt until you feel it contact the guide. Then start up the bike and listened to the wonderful "diesel" racket. Slowly turn the bolt by hand until the noise goes away. Then back it out a ¼ turn and tightened the locknut. Just to be safe run the engine through some rev ranges and then repeat the adjustment. End result so far is a nice quiet engine.

Total time was about 20 minutes and it was a very simple install

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Deuce. That was pretty much what I was thinking (and the instructions said). Looks like it is a pretty straightforward install.

Sorry for the acronyms Burk. I'm lazy (and a horrible speller)....

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
70 Posts
don't mean to make ya feel bed but there is a thread on this forum that allows you to make your own MCCT's. I just did it on my bike and it costed me less then $10 for both sides!

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
What is the take on these from those who have used them. I am a fan of automatic anything so how long is it before you need adjustment? Does the spring have a little cushion to eliminate premature wear? Seems to me it would.

·
Member? ... check.
547 Posts
What is the take on these from those who have used them. I am a fan of automatic anything so how long is it before you need adjustment? Does the spring have a little cushion to eliminate premature wear? Seems to me it would.
I do not think so. Not designed to do that. There is another mechanism inside the engine that may provide this function, not sure.

The next mod I am doing to my bike is the MCCT conversion. I am not doing it for any other reason than to hedge my bets against catastrophic failure of the cam chain tensioners.

There has been more than one post to this board describing an ACCT spring breaking. This minor part failure can cause the valves to kiss the piston heads. Very bad. By removing the spring from the system in favor of a more reliable technology (MCCT), the likelyhood of having this type of failure is reduced significantly.

I did try the $10 route for MCCT's. Got the bolts, locknuts, and neoprene washers. After putting one together and evaluating, I decided that though seemingly effective for some satisfied folks, it was still not a reliable fix for me. There was way too much play in the system, and I found that IMHO there was still a possibility for the same type failure as with the spring. I did ultimately buy the TOC MCCT's because they are designed exactly as I would want them to be designed, and not just band-aidish and weak. Sturdy and rock solid was the way to go for me.

I have not received them yet, but I think it will be a bonus not to have the interference with the coolant bottle as well.

Though the price for the TOC MCCT's may be higher than $10, my feeling is you get what you pay for. I don't feel bad at all about the $100 purchase.

my2cents.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I did see the post about making your own MCCT on here. I, too am kind of a stickler for having the meat and looks to make a fix a premanent fix. So, I ordered the TOC units last week. The price was a little shocking, but I felt the look will be worth it.

I would assume the biggest threat with the MCCT/TOC units is overtightening the adjustment. I imagine I will probably have to tinker with them somewhat to find the sweet spot.

To add insult to injury, I am traveling on business and my wife just told me a very heavy envelope arrived in the mail for me. Crap.

I will report my install results (when I get home).

·
Member? ... check.
547 Posts
Yeh ... I can see where the funds would have been short after all the other bling you dressed Scarlet with ... ;)

How 'bout those Bruins! ... ay? :beerchug:

lol ... now don't get freaked, I'm just playin' the B.S.

Truth is, I'm totally jealous of the setups/mods you have on Scarlet ... :smiley_th

·
Member? ... check.
547 Posts
Are ya coming to the Gathering? We'll be there. It will be a blast.
If'n you be talkin' to me ... nope, wish I could. I'm pretty sure while you folks are enjoying the rides and company, I'll be sweatin' my a$$ off in a car plant. :drool:

MCCT Update:

Just took a test ride after installing the TOC MCCT's. They appear to work great. Much quieter. And no more broke spring worries.
The front tensioner was easy to set by ear with the engine running. The rear tensioner could not be set by ear, the cam chain was quiet at all times. I set the tensioner by feel on a non-running engine. As long as there is no noise, I'll let it be.

I think the design could be improved by simply having a longer lock nut. The lock nut is difficult to get a wrench on nestled in between the tensioner mounting nuts. Another thing I noticed was that the profile of the tensioner plunger was larger than the OE ACCT plunger. Not worried.

Anyway, gotta go fire up the grill. It's T-bone time!

Later,

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MCCT Install Update

OK. I got the TOC MCCT's and installed them based upon the instructions I received with them as well as I polled folks on here to get an idea of the 'best' method for installation. When I received my units, I noticed that they had teflon tape wrapped around the tensioner threads to (I assume) prevent oil leaking past them.

I pulled the front ACCT out and put the new one in and immediately found the teflon tape made screwing it on to where I could feel any tension literally impossible. So, I ran it in some and started the bike to where I could set them by ear. The rear was done the same way.

To make a long story short, the bike started, ran rough and then died. Afterwards, I coudn't get the bike started with the 'quiet' settings. I piddlefarted with them for quite a while. I finally took the ACCT units, Gamboed them a few times to make sure they were working freely and put them babies right back in. Bike started up and has been running since.

I'm a little confused after all the 'cudos' I have heard given to the MCCT units.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Installed TOC MCCT's Friday..... followed simple instructions.......now so amazing quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust ! :smiley_th

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
OK. I got the TOC MCCT's and installed them based upon the instructions I received with them as well as I polled folks on here to get an idea of the 'best' method for installation. When I received my units, I noticed that they had teflon tape wrapped around the tensioner threads to (I assume) prevent oil leaking past them.

I pulled the front ACCT out and put the new one in and immediately found the teflon tape made screwing it on to where I could feel any tension literally impossible. So, I ran it in some and started the bike to where I could set them by ear. The rear was done the same way.

To make a long story short, the bike started, ran rough and then died. Afterwards, I coudn't get the bike started with the 'quiet' settings. I piddlefarted with them for quite a while. I finally took the ACCT units, Gamboed them a few times to make sure they were working freely and put them babies right back in. Bike started up and has been running since.

I'm a little confused after all the 'cudos' I have heard given to the MCCT units.
sounds like you might have them too tight. back them off a good bit, start the bike and tighten just enough to stop the noise.

·
Member? ... check.
547 Posts
When I received my units, I noticed that they had teflon tape wrapped around the tensioner threads to (I assume) prevent oil leaking past them.

To make a long story short, the bike started, ran rough and then died. Afterwards, I coudn't get the bike started with the 'quiet' settings.
I also found the teflon tape hindered my ability to feel a good start point for adjustment. I ran the tape through the threads enough to get it loose (several times). With lock nut pressure, there is no need for that much tape anyway. On the rear one, I set it initially to a point where the tensioner would just sit flush with slight hand force while mounting it. Seemed to work fine. As long as it is quiet, I'll leave it alone.

sounds like you might have them too tight. back them off a good bit, start the bike and tighten just enough to stop the noise.
I did stall the bike on the first adjustment of the front tensioner seemingly just by overtightening. I feel cheated. I didn't get any installation instructions from TOC with mine. :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts