Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well - the insurance co says that it's time to retake a motorcycle safety class to keep up our discount - Daniel and I took one about 3 years ago or so when we first started riding (the beginning rider course) so anybody have any suggestions on a good #2 course to take - ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got a quote of $297. from my agent for my 2004 Vulcan 750. I thought this was very high. Wondering how much others are paying and insurance company there with?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think for Daniel and I it is about $18 a month for the two bikes and riders

·
Registered
686 Posts
well - the insurance co says that it's time to retake a motorcycle safety class to keep up our discount - Daniel and I took one about 3 years ago or so when we first started riding (the beginning rider course) so anybody have any suggestions on a good #2 course to take - ?
Take the same class again or, like Delaware, take the advanced course and get an additional 5% off.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
Here, you take a safety course, it's good forever, you dont have to "retake" the same course again to get the discount.

Insurance rates vary by so many factors is pointless to try and compare what your paying where you live with someone else in another state or city.

I pay about 300 bucks a year on my bike for full coverage ( includes medical ) and replacement cost. (for a 2006 FJR) covers my gear and 1000 dollars worth of accessories. This is LESS than what I was charged for my 2002 Vulcan 750 back when I got it from a different insurance company. ( I have Geico now)
So it helps to shop around.........

KM

·
Bat
161 Posts
There is a second course, the Experienced Rider Course offered by MSF, same price, use your own bike. Costs $25.00 in Ohio.

·
Registered
399 Posts
We pay $75 per year, with geico.

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I got a quote of $297. from my agent for my 2004 Vulcan 750. I thought this was very high. Wondering how much others are paying and insurance company there with?
I have mine bundled with 2 cars and house with State Farm. My 2001 cost me $57.00 a year. :smiley_th

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
$85 per year 100/300 liability in Califonia- Geico. and no MSF nonsense, though I plan to take the advanced course anyway.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Allstate told me 250 for full coverage with bad record gieco told me to call back in 2 years my license have been suspended for 6 years since I was 16 I'm 25 now so 250 was good to hear for me

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
I'll say this again as it seems everyone missed it:

Insurance rates vary by so many factors is pointless to try and compare what your paying where you live with someone else in another state or city.

The guy 1/2 mile away from me can pay 100 more a year for his insurance on the same model/year/mileage bike because the insurance company has his location tagged as a "higher crime area" than mine. Your age, your driving record, your sex, and exactly where you live, if you rent your place or own it, if you have a garage or not, where you work, the value of homes around you, to even how long it's been since you a switched insurance companies ALL can effect how much you pay.

Telling what you pay to others here is meaningless. So stop it.....LOL.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I'll say this again as it seems everyone missed it:

The guy 1/2 mile away from me can pay 100 more a year for his insurance on the same model/year/mileage bike because the insurance company has his location tagged as a "higher crime area" than mine. Your age, your driving record, your sex, and exactly where you live, if you rent your place or own it, if you have a garage or not, where you work, the value of homes around you, to even how long it's been since you a switched insurance companies ALL can effect how much you pay.

Telling what you pay to others here is meaningless. So stop it.....LOL.
you left out credit score, ;)

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
I__q__?

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I have taken both the beginners and advanced MSF courses, both long after I started riding on the street. They are worth it regardless of insurance discounts.

I have 6 bikes insured, all with Dairyland/Sentry, and it costs about $250 a year FOR ALL 6. The smallest is a 125cc scooter, the biggest is a 1200 Goldwing. I have no idea what the Vulcan costs by itself.

One thing you can do to reduce insurance rates is to reduce coverage. Find out what your states minimums are, and get EXACTLY that much. Don't get anything else. Don't insure you bike, if you have medical insurance from somewhere else, don't get uninsured motorist, definitely don't get towing or other "fluff" I have a roadside assistance plan that covers that, for both bikes and cars. Plus in my state, an insurance company is allowed to insure a vehicle for ONE rider/driver only, which eliminates the risk of someone who may be unskilled or has a lot of tickets from being covered if they operate your vehicle. It also means only ONE vehicle can be used at a time, because I am the ONLY covered driver/rider of all my vehicles. Yes, that means if I let someone else operate one of my vehicles, they are NOT covered. But I don't let anyone else operate my vehicles, and don't know why anyone else would either. Let them get their own.

Oh yeah. NO Vulcan 750 is worth insuring in my state. The newest one is now 6 years old. For what it would cost for 2 years premiums, you would pay as much as what you would collect if the bike were totaled or stolen.

I do have my '72 Pinto insured for $6000, it's appraised value, but it is insured as a collector car, can only be driven 2500 miles per year, and must be kept in a locked garage anytime it is left unattended. Believe it or not that insurance is only $130 a year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jerry, Info we were looking for! You brought up some very good points. Information is good, Not Pointless! Thanks for sharing your experience!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts