Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.. does anyone know the maximum width you can possable cram under the vn750? just so it doesn't rub anywhere? :Þ

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,687 Posts
I believe the next size up from stock is the biggest you can go. It's tight but it will fit. that is what I have on my VN750, it not only gives you more grip, but a better ride and it lowers your RPM's too.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
hey guys.. does anyone know the maximum width you can possable cram under the vn750? just so it doesn't rub anywhere? :Þ
I have not attempted any size other than stock.
From what I've read on VN750 - - Depends, many variables....
Brand of tire ?
Has it been lowered ?
Ocassionally, centerstand issues, especially if lowered.
Going Darkside ?
There are many threads on discussion of variables.

:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
are you talking about the 170/80 then?
Yes he is. I run a 170/80 on the rear. The tire has to be deflated to get it on. After it is installed and inflated there is no problem.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,687 Posts
the size on my bike is 170/80 15. I know, because I am in the garage right now lubing the rear splines and I just looked at the size of the rear tire.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Yes, 170/80-15 from many different manufacturers has been installed and run with good results reported on this forum.

I believe one member here was given a larger tire for free, do not remember the make but it was 180 mm wide, and he tried installing it. I think that particular tire just fit, but I would not go bigger than the 170/80-15. IMHO there is no real need anyway to go bigger than that on a bike that weighs 500 lbs and has a gross weight recommendation of just under 900 lbs loaded.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm running a Michelin Commander II 170-80 and it's a pain to get in and out, first time. But the secret to make it no hassle is to pull the final drive bolts. I always lube the splines if the rear tire comes off anyway, as I think most of us do, so make it easy on yourself. Remove the axle and what not, pull the final drive off, remove it from the wheel, take the wheel out and do what ever you have to do with it. Put the wheel back under, connect the drive back to the shaft, wheel to drive and finish installing. Works for me and no fighting the thing at all.

·
Registered
263 Posts
180/70 has been put on stock rim by someone from U. K. i believe.I got a 190 different rim 17 inch,clearance is by a hair and yes easy way to take on/off is to pull rear diff. off

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I believe the next size up from stock is the biggest you can go............it not only gives you more grip, but a better ride and it lowers your RPM's too.
So with this wider tire, dropping from a 90 to an 80 in height (smaller diameter) still lowers the rpm's? And do you remember how much? Needing a new tire in the near future.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
The height is the width times the aspect ratio (90 out in this case 80) as a percentage. Its going to vary a little by manufacturer, but the cold sitting still 170/80-15 is 136mm, the 150/90-15 is 135. I just put a 170 on my old girl today (yes, I cleaned the wheel out, greased the splines and changed the gear oil). It can be a major pain trying to get it in before getting smart and remembering a clue from the forum (pull the gear, put it on the wheel & put it in that way... Thank you CW-4! :D), but the extra grip is nice. I did notice that the rpms were about 500 lower at highway speeds. The only thing that I can think would make this happen is vertical growth. Think about a dragster and when they hit the throttle, how much taller the tires are.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
445 Posts
Chuck the diameter isn't always smaller. Such as....

Michelin Commander II 150/90B15 Rear Tire -
Rim Diameter: 15
Position: Rear Width: 6.5"
Speed Rating: H - Rated up to 130 MPH Aspect Ratio: 90
DOT Approved: Yes Load Rating: 74
Manufacturer Part Number: 07761 Overall Diameter: 26.34"

Michelin Commander II 170/80B15 Rear Tire -
Tire Size: 170/80-15 Rim Diameter: 15
Position: Rear Width: 7.36"
Speed Rating: H - Rated up to 130 MPH Aspect Ratio: 80
DOT Approved: Yes Load Rating: 77
Manufacturer Part Number: 25755 Overall Diameter: 26.5"

Kenda Tires K673 Kruz 150/90-15 Rear Tire -
Tire Size: 150/90-15 Rim Diameter: 15
Position: Rear Width: 3.1 < This has to be a typo, I would think it's more like 6.1
Speed Rating: H - Rated up to 130 MPH Aspect Ratio: 90
DOT Approved: Yes Inch System: 6.00/6.25-15
Load Rating: 74 Manufacturer Part Number: 046731524B1
Overall Diameter: 25.39 -Almost a full inch less that the Commander II 150/90

Kenda Tires K673 Kruz 170/80-15 Rear Tire -
Tire Size: 170/80-15 Rim Diameter: 15
Position: Rear Width: 6.8
Speed Rating: H - Rated up to 130 MPH Aspect Ratio: 80
DOT Approved: Yes Load Rating: 77
Manufacturer Part Number: 046731526B1 Overall Diameter: 25 Smaller that their 150/90 and 1-1/2" less that the Commander II 170/80

So it really depends on what brand of tire you are running.

Source for info is tire section at J&P Cycles site.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
That's interesting... The tire I just put on is the Kenda 673 170/80-15. I had a Pirelli MT66 on before that.

·
Registered
450 Posts
What you have to remember is, your oversizing the tire for recomended rim width. Example you can have a 180 next to a 170 and the tires side by side unmounted would only be a hair of a difference in height. Now if you mount them and put them side by side, the difference will be even more. You are squeezing the tire causing it to bulge in the center and increasing the height even more. There are drawbacks doing this. Gear ratio change and the wear and grip will be effected. Motorcycle tires are general designed with three compound positions. Left side, right side and center. The center is generally harder and the sides are softer for added grip in turns. Oversizing tire on a rim changes the active locations for the side compounds. Result is more uneven wear and different handling. ~Use at your own risk~

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
^ Actually there are only few tires on the market that use duel compounds.. Having a harder rubber in the center and a softer one on the sides. Most tires, especially the ones for the a Vulcan use one compound. Wear is evened out due to width only.

Secound, by "squeezing" a tire on a smaller wheel (we call them wheels here, "rims" are for hip hop car owners) you would be changing the profile slightly, but it would depend on how the tire is constructed whether you would be altering the height, the width, or both.

As stated, a 170 width tire from one maker can be diffrent than a 170 tire from another. Tire profiles will of course make a diffrence too.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Just my opinion, but I don't recommend using anything but the stock 150/90-15. I have used a lot of them, and never had problems with tread wear or handling. That is exactly the same size my 1985 Goldwing used, and it was a much larger heavier bike. Looks wise I would prefer a larger diameter wheel, and a tire with a narrower sidewall, like they did with the Meanstreak. The stock tire looks like a drag slick.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
There isn't much of a difference in the diameter of the meanie wheel/tire combo compared to ours. I don't disagree about having a larger rim for aesthetics, but the only way to have our rear wheel framed better by the fender (like the meanie) is to lower the rear end. I've dropped mine about 1 1/2" and it looks good (to me). I didn't give up any ride quality by doing so, used progressive shocks.
1375654951155.jpg

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
I took my seat off last night to do some "massaging" to the fender with a rubber mallet so I could move my seat back a bit. The back of the seat is held down with a bolt through the fender. With the old tire, as long as I put the shocks at the highest setting, It wasn't too bad getting up in there to get the nut started, etc... With the new tire, not so easy. It has to be a larger diameter, math be danged.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts