Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I finished up a set of floorboards this weekend and was trying to find a good material to put on top for both comfort and slip resistance. Any suggestions?

As for the floorboards, I'll post some pictures soon, but here's basically what I did. I had a piece of 1/4" steel plate laying around, so I cut out the boards with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel. They are basically the same shape as KM's, but I didn't take any measurements or anything...just kind of eyeballed a good shape. I decided not to put a bolt through the top and nut on the bottom. Instead, I drilled and tapped the holes. Yes, this was a big pain in the rear with 1/4" steel and I did break two taps in the process, but it got done eventually. Then I sanded down the boards, primed them and gave them two coats of black Rustoleum. Finally, I bolted them on with some loctite.

I rode to work on them today and it was NICE. I definitely need something to put on top of them, though.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I used some Rubber flooring that I got at Menards.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
I just used diamond plate Aluminum to make my floorboards. It is undeniably a different ride with floorboards and I can't imagine going back.

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
My first boards had pads cut from an old rubber welcome mat. I'd stick with rubber for grip, one with a texture. If you can't find anything send me a tracing of the boards and I'll send you some of the stuff I use now..(1/8 inch thick vinyl with "saw tooth" grooves.) I buy the stuff by the linear foot.

KM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts