Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of being lambasted for not finding this through the search engine; is the new-style brake master cylinder (round top) a direct swap for the older square-top master cylinder? Looking to do a swap on an '86 VN750 because the square cylinder hits the handlebars before I can rotate it into a comfortable position (I'm not the biggest guy). Want to know if I'm setting myself up for a world of hurt or if it'll work without much effort. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
At the risk of being lambasted for not finding this through the search engine; is the new-style brake master cylinder (round top) a direct swap for the older square-top master cylinder? Looking to do a swap on an '86 VN750 because the square cylinder hits the handlebars before I can rotate it into a comfortable position (I'm not the biggest guy). Want to know if I'm setting myself up for a world of hurt or if it'll work without much effort. Thanks in advance for any help.
Yes, it is 100% swapable. I too have an '86 VN750, and desire to do the same.
1. You are able to purchase many (different) brake levers for the round one.
2. You are able to purchase a dress chrome cover for the round one.
3. I have not been able to purchase a replacement Brake Lever for the Rectangle one. Although I did find a Part # for an all black one, which the MC store they would attempt to order.

Swap away !
WilliamTech :lockd:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet. I was hoping for that. Wide brake/clutch levers are on the short list. Looks like I'll be swapping out then. Thanks for the info.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Sweet. I was hoping for that. Wide brake/clutch levers are on the short list. Looks like I'll be swapping out then. Thanks for the info.
Welcome to the Vulcan madness.

If your self described "not the biggest guy" stature :) comes with small hands/short fingers, I have seen clutch and brake levers that are adjustable for length of pull. Since you are looking for new levers anyway, the adjustable ones may be of interest to you as well.
Sorry but I don`t have a link for them. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome. Been enjoying the Vulcan for about a year now. Learned a lot by perusing the pages of the forum (especially the verses).

Good thought on the adjustble levers. I haven't had much a problem so far, but I do have little sausage fingers, so adjustable levers may be nice. Would make brake modulation easier if I go to stainless lines. Looks like Flanders has some available. Won't let me place the link because I don't have enough posts yet.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Are the brake handles different between the 2 master cylinders?
I had read somewhere that the early square type MC levers had a slight downward angle to match the bars as with the round type MC were angled differently.
I could be wrong. I want to swap mine out as well because the PO had put a new sight glass on the MC and used silicone to hold it in place, and it looks like crap.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I had read somewhere that the early square type MC levers had a slight downward angle to match the bars as with the round type MC were angled differently.
I could be wrong. I want to swap mine out as well because the PO had put a new sight glass on the MC and used silicone to hold it in place, and it looks like crap.
Yes the lever on the rectangular MC is different, having that "dog leg" bend downward.
The round MC lever is basicly flat. :)

·
4,508 Posts
LOL I did mine a little better (IMO), I filled over my deteriorated sight glass window with Epoxy, rattle can black over it. Looks decent. That's the only rattle can paint on the bike ! LOL

WilliamTech
:smiley_th

·
4,508 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts