Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. A whole bunch of time ago I broke my master cylinder's sight glass and bought another one on eBay. However, I've never been able to install it properly. Which is quite dangerous for sure... I used super glue and after a while the brake fluid starts coming out through the sides of the sight glass, as if it were sweating, sort of.

I also tried a mixture of super glue and baking soda, which has proved very useful in other repairs where super glue by itself won't hold. This one lasts a little longer but after a while I start seeing brake fluid coming out as well. Not in squirts or even drops, but slowly over time... however, it definitely means the glue isn't holding.

So I'm wondering what I can use to glue it on for good and not have a leak there anymore.

This is what I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-kawasaki...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53dbbd7438&vxp=mtr

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
umm so someone did buy the one i posted up i would use some automotive silly cone that is resistant to brake fluid

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nothing wrong with that buy, has both in one place shipped. A perfect cut glass replacement that will never fade and stainless hardware, both will outlast the bike. Use RTV, You can get it all automotive and some hardware stores. Just ask for RTV and they will find it. You can get clear or black. Permatix is the usual brand choice.

Mine Before:

Mine after:

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RTV as in silicone? I think I have a tube of both red and black RTV silicone.

I thought about using it but thought it wouldn't work for some reason. Or are you talking about something else?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umm so someone did buy the one i posted up i would use some automotive silly cone that is resistant to brake fluid
Yea, I remember saying in some thread that I had bought it...

I bought it maybe a couple of months after I got the bike. I got the bike in October 2010. So I got this glass on early 2011 at most. It still looks pretty good, except for me not getting it to seal properly and stay in its place.

·
Registered
450 Posts
RTV as in silicone? I think I have a tube of both red and black RTV silicone.

I thought about using it but thought it wouldn't work for some reason. Or are you talking about something else?
Yes. Make sure the area to be sealed is clean and give it 12+ hours to cure before use.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, I'll do it tomorrow morning and give it a proper 12 hours before I put brake fluid back in it. Thanks!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I used to do nose cones & water pickups on outboard lower units, and I found the quicker set epoxies would not hold up in a constant water & oil environment, but the long set stronger epoxies did however do very well, anything you use will depend a lot on how well you do the cleanup, and clean & dry in general, as with paintin, the preparation may be more important than most other things...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How can i remove the sight glass from one mc and install it into another mc????
Put this one on it instead:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-kawasaki...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53dbbd7438&vxp=mtr

I think it will last longer and it's very simple to put in. Trying to pop out the stock one will probably break it. You can still try, but it's very likely that it will break.

As an update, I still have no leak at all since I used RTV silicone to seal the glass. I used the gray one since I didn't have black. Works flawlessly.

·
I.T. Analyst, Alpha Geek
157 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
On my '85 Goldwing, with a hydraulic clutch, bot sight glasses were almost completely disintegrated (sun damage) They crumbled and fell out while I was cleaning and rebuilding the master cylinders. I decided I didn't need the sight glasses, so on a tip from the Goldwing forum, I sanded the inside of the hole a little to get it perfectly clean, pressed a dime into the hole, toward the inside of the reservoir. It was a perfect press fit. I then filled it in from outside with JB Weld. and ground it down smooth. I'd say there is about a 1/4" thick plug of JB Weld in there. It is still holding just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts