Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I plan on doing either the marbling or the coastering, from what I've read on here it makes the bike run a little nicer and a little cooler, so I'm all for that, but just so I understand, if I marble it, I'm just sticking a marble in the hose coming from the emission valve thing going to each cylinder right? If I coaster it then I'm just removing the port that comes out of the top of the engine and installing a "coaster". if thats so couldn't I just fold over and zip tie that big hose before it goes into the emissions valve thing therefore closing off that to the engine? Also if I need it to pass inspection i can just undo it, get inspected then re zip it? Sorry for my lack of technical terms, when I say the emissions valve thing I mean the one under the seat that has the 2 big hoses going to the top of each cylinder and the 2 smaller ones going to the airbox and filter housing. I appreciate all the help I've gotten from you guys so far, my bike is running now and I've had her out a few times, I don't want to do this improvement and somehow screw it up...lol, Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can use a spent 20g shotgun shell cut down to slip over the ports... I also siliconed them in... They look kool too

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
They do emission tests on bikes in NY?

As the reed valves only open when closing the throttle I'd wonder if it still pass a test anyway with them closed off.

But yes, your just "sticking a marble" or something simular to close off those hoses. I wouldn't zip tie them as that could damage the hose.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
there are also vacuum plugs avail that will cover the port as well, the method I used.. I took the port in to the napa near me, and said "I need 2 plugs for this thingy" and they set me up

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Yes you can fold over the tubes and tie rap them as I think marbles are ILLEGAL in New York.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
They do emission tests on bikes in NY?

As the reed valves only open when closing the throttle I'd wonder if it still pass a test anyway with them closed off.

But yes, your just "sticking a marble" or something simular to close off those hoses. I wouldn't zip tie them as that could damage the hose.
Depending on the area,yes they do inspect bikes for emissions

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys, like I said, I just didn't want to do something stupid because I didn't fully understand it. I like the vac port idea, I think I'll do that with the acct to mcct convo this week, thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I suppose I'm weird.

I grabbed a tin can(soup can, beans, whatever) and cut it down so that it fit under the breather cover. The breather cover holds it in place, and everything is put together as normal.

Seems to work so far.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
I suppose I'm weird.

I grabbed a tin can(soup can, beans, whatever) and cut it down so that it fit under the breather cover. The breather cover holds it in place, and everything is put together as normal.

Seems to work so far.
I did that with my covers too.

·
Overkill? Whats that?
374 Posts
Yup even my daily carry 4 inch pocket knife is illegal in NY. Liberal ****s. But yes vacuum plugs will still allow the bike to look stock if you want to keep up appearances

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Maybe the city but as long as its not a switch or assisted or double bladed it's fine upstate

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can use a spent 20g shotgun shell cut down to slip over the ports... I also siliconed them in... They look kool too
PICS!
I suppose I'm weird.

Seems to work so far.
PICS!
I did that with my covers too.
PICS!

Yes, I have no idea what coastering or marbling do for the bike. I WILL search and read. But pics give me/us a visual and helps a lot. If y'all have them they would be AWESOME!!!

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Maybe the city but as long as its not a switch or assisted or double bladed it's fine upstate
So they make knives that aren't switched or assisted? I mean other than kitchen knives. Really? You have to open them yourself? Like with two hands?

·
Registered
106 Posts
20g shotgun shell (spent), i used a lil bit of silycone to keep it in place.. It was a snug fit

Attachments

Reactions: pmassey31545

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
So they make knives that aren't switched or assisted? I mean other than kitchen knives. Really? You have to open them yourself? Like with two hands?
I'm a little clumsy and need three hands to open mine

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Marbling...

Hey guys while I've been thinking this over, I thought because I still have the old engine, I could take the old ports off, hammer the hose end flat or cut it off and then fill it with jb weld, smooth it out and then paint it, wouldn't this work?

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
anything that seals up the large port (or the reed valve opening in the head) will work.

I chose to use a vacuum cap on mine, that way my reed valves and housings are still there, just no way for air to get into them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts