Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rockon:I've read through the threads on using marbles, replacing the reed valves, rubber caps, and more all in an effort to stop the inherited decleration popping. After putting on the Jardines the popping was more like fire crackers being fired on each release of the throttle. I took a little of everyone's advice and put 5/8" rubber caps from Advance Auto on the reed valves. Then I placed a standard marble in the hose and tucked it neatly behind the capped valve. Looks great, seals things up, took less than 5 minutes to do and can be undone in a nano-second. Then I adjusted the air/fuel mixture to 2 1/2 turns out (seated the screws first then backed them out). The Jardines are loud, but they now have a nice low growl on deceleration that speaks of power and not a 750cc pop corn popper. :smiley_th

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the pic of the left side...the right side is the same only on the other side behind the air cleaner housing.

Attachments

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Very nicely done, now if it was me, when I had a few extra bucks I would invest in the coastering kit that they have on ebay. IMO it make it look a lot cleaner and if youre ever interested in painting the engine it would make it a bit easier as well. I know that you think the Rumblers are loud but as they say "If it's to loud youre to old"...LOL Ride safe bro. :motorcycl

Peace :beerchug:

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
The Jardines are loud, but they now have a nice low growl on deceleration that speaks of power and not a 750cc pop corn popper. :smiley_th
Love the analogy!

P.S. OOOOH Crap I have the Satans posting number...WOOOHOOOOO:wow:
Better post one ,more. Pretty soon, no one will even know what we're talking about.

·
Registered
950 Posts
So is the popping sound something that is bad for the engine, or is it just that some people don't like it.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
So is the popping sound something that is bad for the engine, or is it just that some people don't like it.
Most people just don't like it. :doh:

·
Registered
950 Posts
i must be one of the few that does. it could be deeper though, to give it a big bore sound, suppose drilling baffles and NOT marbling would do that though

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the best pic I have of my bike with the Jardine Rumblers. I didn't mind the popping either with stock pipes, but when I put the Jardines on it was just too loud. Now it has a great deep sound on decel without the popping. At first the Jardines were definitely loud, but now that I have put 300 miles on them I'm used to it and won't go back to the Maytag sound....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
allen plugs

Has anyone ever taken the reed valves off and tapped out those holes and plugged them.I just pulled this trick instead of buying the coaster plate kit,after all the reed valves open and let fresh air go through those hole into the exhaust, am I correct? Two 5/16 plugs cost about $.70 at the hardware and if you have to buy a tap it is only about $5.00 for less than ten bucks you can throw the whole mess away.Has any body else done this or did I screw up again?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Losing my Marbles!?

Cliff and Crew --

I will put the 5/8" caps on the opening to the reed valve; however, I don't have any marbles. (I've been told I'm losing my marbles--LOL!) Can I just tuck the hose behind the capped valve without sealing it with a marble since it appears the hose no longer serves a purpose?

Thanx in advance!

:rockon:I've read through the threads on using marbles, replacing the reed valves, rubber caps, and more all in an effort to stop the inherited decleration popping. After putting on the Jardines the popping was more like fire crackers being fired on each release of the throttle. I took a little of everyone's advice and put 5/8" rubber caps from Advance Auto on the reed valves. Then I placed a standard marble in the hose and tucked it neatly behind the capped valve. Looks great, seals things up, took less than 5 minutes to do and can be undone in a nano-second. Then I adjusted the air/fuel mixture to 2 1/2 turns out (seated the screws first then backed them out). The Jardines are loud, but they now have a nice low growl on deceleration that speaks of power and not a 750cc pop corn popper. :smiley_th

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I capped the reed valves and marbled the hoses that go to the filter under the seat. I had the marbles and figured why not. You could remove them and the filter, but I decided it was easier to stick a marble in the hose and let it hang behind the reed valve. No one will see it and if I want to return it to sock some day it's a simple matter of removing the marble and cap.

This solved my popping problem, along with an adjustment of the mixture screw. I didn't mind the popping with the stock exhaust, but when I installed the Jardines, the popping was very noticeable.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Cliff and Slim --

I just want to make sure that I understand. After I cap the reed valves I can let the hose hang behind the reed valve, and I do not need to seal it with a marble--no negative consequences. Is this correct? I do not want to remove the hoses but I just don't have any marbles at the moment.

Thanx for your patience! :)

========================================================
"if you coaster you don't need to marble...you do one or the other...not both...no need "

I capped the reed valves and marbled the hoses that go to the filter under the seat. I had the marbles and figured why not. You could remove them and the filter, but I decided it was easier to stick a marble in the hose and let it hang behind the reed valve. No one will see it and if I want to return it to sock some day it's a simple matter of removing the marble and cap.

This solved my popping problem, along with an adjustment of the mixture screw. I didn't mind the popping with the stock exhaust, but when I installed the Jardines, the popping was very noticeable.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Cliff and Slim --

I just want to make sure that I understand. After I cap the reed valves I can let the hose hang behind the reed valve, and I do not need to seal it with a marble--no negative consequences. Is this correct? I do not want to remove the hoses but I just don't have any marbles at the moment.

Thanx for your patience! :)

"if you coaster you don't need to marble...you do one or the other...not both...no need "

Since you did a de-goat, after capping the reed valve cover you can remove ALL the other emmission crap. Plug right carb. vacuum port with a 7/32 cap and the same with the rear tank ports. The big hose off the main air chamber you can plug with a rubber stopper/cork. Less weight means you can carry more beer!! LOL

·
Registered
491 Posts
Since you did a de-goat, after capping the reed valve cover you can remove ALL the other emmission crap. Plug right carb. vacuum port with a 7/32 cap and the same with the rear tank ports. The big hose off the main air chamber you can plug with a rubber stopper. Less weight means you can carry more beer!! LOL
Should be good for an extra 6-pak.

Thanx Lance! :beerchug:

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts