Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have marbled my '01 with the 1/2 copper caps at the carbs and put the hose back on. I have richened the mixture and I'm still popping on decel. To be fair, I have noticed it more since I have drilled the baffles (4-1/2" holes each) There is also a good amount of blueing on the right pipe right after the manifold. Where might my popping still be coming from??

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Have you cleaned and oiled the airfilters recently? Bluing on the stock pipes means a too lean mixture.

If the exhaust is all stock other than your screwing the baffles it should not be a root cause. Nor should marbling....which does not always totally cure de-accell popping.

I'd check your air filters, the seal on the boxes themselves and all the carb boots. Turn in the mixture screws and back them out 2-1/2 to 3 turns out. Check your spark plug gaps too.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
An exhaust leak can draw outside air into the exhaust under closed throttle situations as well check for leaks at head pipe gaskets and around all the seams on the exhaust,outside oxygen rich air will cause the unburned gases to burn in the exhaust causing popping on decel.If you have a head pipe bluing I would suspect that cylinders crush gasket.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
havent done anything yet with the air filters.. i'm planning on its service interval here soon.

it does seem to be more from the right side so im suspecting that carb hose or exhaust gasket.. the blueing is much worse on that side

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just to be clear for a mechanical noob.. the crush gasket is the gasket between the exhaust pipe and the manifold..correct??

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
just to be clear for a mechanical noob.. the crush gasket is the gasket between the exhaust pipe and the manifold..correct??

:smiley_th

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats the optimum spark plug gap.. i put in new plugs and out of the box the were right at midway between the recommended range in the manual

·
Registered
445 Posts
Wouldn't change the gap if you are in the middle. A larger gap will give you a bigger spark and a bit more power, in theory that is. Stock car drivers would "over" gap the plugs for time trials, but the cars ran hotter and the plugs would break down due to the heat if ran too long. They would they reset back to the proper gap and run the race. At least that was back in the day, don't really know what they do with the cookie cutter Nascar stuff these days

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
If you purchased the Iridium plugs then there is nothing to gap since they come gapped at .035 from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I had the same thing going on and the solution.....stock filters were dry. Once I oiled them (restricted airflow a bit) it ran much better cooler and stopped most of the popping on deceleration.

FYI: you may never completely eliminate that popping, but it gets a lot better.

KM is correct...oil them filters pronto and you will see a difference right away.

If that doesn't take care of it, then you might have an exhaust leak or cracks in the carb boots.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
think i found my culprit.. the right card hose clamp was not setting right over the capped end.. reset that and most of the popping is gone.. musta come loose.. Still got the air filter cleaner and oil and will do that tonite

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Yup marbles.like the ones that are constantly falling on the ground every time I shake my head.red ones.green ones blue ones.clear ones.I live in a sea of marbles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts