Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I am not the brightest bulb in the box on computers...
But, I was wondering about (for on road with no internet connection) getting a mini laptop or DVD player or even a Kindle or something to carry on the cycle my for maps... I see Delorme has Street Maps as well as Topo maps on DVD but am not sure they can be loaded on the hard drive of a computer, if not one would have to have a seperate DVD player with mini laptop as they don't have one built in (not good)... Then there is the DVD player that I know nothing about, and that I wonder about the ability to zoom in and out on the maps, don't have a clue about a Kindle either... Oh, BTW-Can they (any) be charged via a 12V cigarette lighter socket...??? Could someone clue me in on what to do or get, or to not get, or do I need to forget it and stick with the paper maps and my little GPS (Nuvi 500, good for close but not for area)...??? Keep in mind I want be able to zoom out and look at areas I might want to go, as well as zoom in for detail... I do sometimes use Google maps and print some areas and carry with me, but that is agrivating as well as sometimes I want to check out other areas... I don't mind pulling off to the side and lookin things over to see which way I want to go... Can these DVDs be downloaded to a mini laptop hard drive...???
I know, a bunch of questions, but I told you up front, I am not the brightest bulb in the box...lol...
Thanks, and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
i dont know much about most of your questions but as far as charging off of a cigarette lighter goes there are alot of "universal" charger kits for laptops that have a cigarette lighter adapter. I bought mine for 30 bucks but they can range between 20 and 120 bucks... sorry i couldnt help more.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Not sure why your bothering with a DVD player or lap top or kendal... get yourself a GPS unit.. you can plot out routes on your home computer thru google, Bing whatever and then push it to your GPS... a GPS unit will plug into a cig lighter for charging.. small enough units are out there that will fit in your pocket when your not rideing and there are several makers of RAM attaching units for GPS's to bikes.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clock152, I do have GPS and use it, but its no good for what I am asking to do, its ok for where you are, but if I want to look over maps after ridin a good mountain road and locate another, I don't want to plan ahead at home just maybe wander from place to place via different routes... Even if the GPS would do what I want to what good is a 5" screen when you zoom out to cover a good portion of a county... A 10" screen is not much, but a lot better than a 4-5"...
BlackOctober750, that is a help, it would mean that I would not have to spend for the higher Cap. batteries...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Oh ok.. I am following you now.. hmmmm...you sould be able to use a program like WinAVI to rip a DVD to about any file type that you would want...or do a search for the type of software you are looking for and see if they have it in a downloadable form (they should have) and then mount it to the device you are useing... as far as being able to charge what ever you have you can get a plug in that will either use the cig/utility plug or you can pick up a cheap addapeter that has the cig plug on one end and a 3 prong AC plug on the other.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
If you are thinking laptop...why not just download the ever popular Rand McNally Road Atlas?

http://www.amazon.com/TOPICS-Entertainment-CS-269d-McNally-Atlas/dp/B00006IQ98

"Product Description
From the Manufacturer

Rand McNally brings America's top-selling print Road Atlas to your desktop on a CD-ROM. With more than 130 years of experience, Rand McNally knows what travelers need and want in mapping and travel products. The company published its first Rand McNally Road Atlas in 1924. Now a PC edition is available for quick mapping, point-to-point directions, and attraction lookup. Join the millions of people who use Rand McNally road atlases for their travel needs.

The PC edition is easy to use and quick to install--just load the CD into your PC, follow the installation procedure, then put the CD away! You don't need the CD to run the Road Atlas. There's no Internet access required; it's always available."

I am not familar with it in PC form, but imagine you can zoom in or out on any area.

KM

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think I have the answer, to run the topo maps, you have to run the disc...
That is what I was afraid of because the mini laptops use an external DVD drive...

·
Registered
900 Posts
there is a way to do it wit the CD.. use Damon tools...but its a bugger if your not a geek .. some of the newer GPS systems you can look things up and plot courses on your computer and then load on your GPS... my Iphone works pretty well for this.. setting waypoints.. but as far as doing on the fly stuff.. not so much .. when it comes down to it good old road atlas tucked in a saddle bag then ploting it on your GPS unit is how I do it most of the time... or I stop and ask someone hows a great way to get to X with whatever I want to see....covered bridges or great trees in the fall. or some obsucre guy selling crazy stuff.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OK-I just ordered this one to play with----
http://www.amazon.com/Topo-USA-8-0-East-Region/dp/B001P6H948/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1294503891&sr=8-6
It is not windows 7 compatable but I have XP on my big laptop and can get more of an idea of what I want & can do with out spending the high dollars for the $70 one---
http://www.amazon.com/Delorme-AO-008184-203-Topo-North-America/dp/B003IPCVC4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294504242&sr=8-1
If it will, it will, and if it won't, it won't...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I typed up a good reply, and thought I submitted it, but evidently I didn't, so shorter version...
No hunting, no fishing, (too dangerous) but I am a country boy, not a city boy, or city rider...lol... I've just got this idea about the way & where I ride, and especially since I ride solo 90% of the time... Just me I guess...
#1 Topo shows more of the country (especially the twisties) and less of the city than the Streets maps (who like ridin in town.??)...
#2 I am pretty savy on the topo sheets as I did field inspection work on USGS topo 1:24,000 back in the early 60s and later used topo maps in my field engineering work, Its just hard to teach an old dog new tricks...lol...
I do carry the DeLorme topo 1:150,000 paper booklet for the state of Tenn., but they even cost $19.95 per state, but I might add well worth it... Topo maps I know a bit about, I'm just an old digital dummy...lol...
They just have the detail I want out in the sticks and the Streets maps don't... And I do like to take a few pictures especially landscapes ect., which they help a bit about... Like I said, just me I guess...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Virtual DVD drive ???

If you are thinking laptop...why not just download the ever popular Rand McNally Road Atlas?

http://www.amazon.com/TOPICS-Entertainment-CS-269d-McNally-Atlas/dp/B00006IQ98 KM
Goodness KM, did you read the reviews on that Rand McNally Road Atlas...???
I keep their paper Road Atlas' but those reviews, 3 out of 4 one star don't tell me its so great...lol...

Has anyone used a "software called Virtual DVD drive"...??? Seems like once installed and you down load your DVD you don't have to have the physical DVD or drive, I think...lol... ???

PS-Here is one http://download.cnet.com/Daemon-Tools-Lite/3000-2646_4-10778842.html ...

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
You may think about looking into the Ipads with 3G connection. It's a monthly charge for service (just like a cell phone). Assuming AT&T has coverage, you can stop and access all of the internet on a 10" screen. You say your not so big on the tech stuff, but I've always found Apple products very intuitive to use.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
hey OD I have one of the smaller notebooks,usually carry on trips that has no built in cd drive.I stop at any McDonalds,they have free wi-fi, and look over the area using google earth and get a pretty good idea of any route i might want to take and save 1t to my harddrive.I also have an external dvd burner/player that i can use at home to load the garmin topo maps on my little handheld gps.but i understand the want for a bigger viewing area and the topo maps since i live in hill country too.My laptop is an older dell latitude d410 with the 10 inch screen and i use it a lot more than that hotrodded desktop i have in my den,i actually traded one of the so called smartphones for it,it fits in a small bag in one of my bigger bags and has proved pretty durable.

go around one of the computer repair joints an you'll find some good deals on used ones people didn't pick up that usually have a little warranty from the shop.just a suggestion,make sure it is ready for wi -fi or buy one of the wireless adapters for verizon or at&t that plugs into a usb port on your computer,I haven't boughtone yet because i don't want another bill.The i pads are nice but look kinda fragile to me,JMO have good'un,Denny Ray

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
^ Yo, did you pass out on your enter button or what? Quick drinkin' and postin' Denny! Hee heeeeeeee!!!! :D
I don't drink LP.I've been up too long spent the biggest part of the night at the hospital with my sister from about 4 a.m. and my daughter yesterday evening untill later last night,I'm kinda running on fumes:confused: I need some sleep and can't seem to get there!

Edit:fixed it

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Goodness KM, did you read the reviews on that Rand McNally Road Atlas...???
I keep their paper Road Atlas' but those reviews, 3 out of 4 one star don't tell me its so great...lol......
Sorry, did not read the reviews, it just was the first one I could think of that did not need the CDROM to run....and the ad pointed to several other alternatives. Many I know use Microsofts street map software....but was not sure if it needed the CD to run.

I know you can download topo maps for future use, but I guess it helps if you know where you are going to start with ;)

KM

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know you can download topo maps for future use, but I guess it helps if you know where you are going to start with ;)
KM
Well believe it or not, being old and retired has an advantage or two, one of them is sometimes CRS sets in and you don't have a clue where you are, another is sometimes you don't really care, you just check the map and the gas tank and keep on keeping on...:beerchug:...

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
I have the program called Microsoft streets & trips 2007 with GPS Locator. I can see where I'm at on my laptop like other GPS'. It comes with a 2"sq GPS that hooks to the USB port on the laptop.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I have the program called Microsoft streets & trips 2007 with GPS Locator. I can see where I'm at on my laptop like other GPS'. It comes with a 2"sq GPS that hooks to the USB port on the laptop.
where did you get that and does it work like a regular GPS when plugged into a usb port and uses the computer screen for the gps screen,and also doe you have to use the disc all the time or is it an install disc for the program ,Can you update the maps online?I know that's a lot of questions but i like the sound of it so far!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts