Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for software to plan a trip that I can say what road I want to go on turn by turn.
When planning a day trip would be nice to be able to print maps and give to people on the ride.
I looked at Streets and Trips, It wants to plan the route for you.
Any help would be great, Oh yea I do not have a GPS on the bike.

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
MS S&T allows you to print maps and decide what route to take. Just drop some pins along the way and it'll follow that route. I highly recomend MS S&T for that purpous.

For audio feedback, IGuidance is what I use on my lappy in my 4 wheeler.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
i really like MS software. it will pick a direct route for you unless you put stops along the way

·
Registered
415 Posts
I haven't tried it yet but DeLormes has come highly recommended by a few friends. Locally I use their (DeLormes) good old fashioned printed maps and do a turn by turn word doc.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I have Delorme on my laptop and it works well. As with all[/B mapping programs do a reality check before believing them 100%.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
If you wanna try it and not spend any money, mapquest.com can help you plan your route. Yeah, I know it automatically picks a route for you and most of the roads are not the ones you want. But if you take your time, and choose each point along the trip carefully, forcing it to choose your road, you can continue to build your trip up to how ever many between points it allows. Then you can start there and continue with the next how ever many points it allows. I used it to plan a trip last fall and was able to make it choose every road I wanted to take by plugging in an intersection of that road and the next road I wanted to turn on etc. Might not make any sense until you go try it. I printed out the map and the directions. It also keeps a running total of miles for the trip, which is handy for deciding about where you'll need gas stops etc.
I keep a "Roads of Texas" atlas with me on trips just in case we decide to slip off our planned route and check out some little side trip. These MapsCo atlas's have good detail down to the tiny county roads and has them labeled. I do need a magnifying glass to read some of it, but it's there. I got mine at Walmart. It's pretty large but fits in my trunk. I assume they have them for every state.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have a verizon phone with navigation. There are several choices for trip settings when doing a directions request. One is to avoid highways. I haven't tried this setting yet, but maybe I will try it tomorrow. It has been well worth the 10 dollar a month fee since I am a field service rep for computer SAN and NAS equipment. There are times I need to go to new clients or from one client to another it does a good job of finding the quickest route.

·
Registered
38 Posts
MS S&T is a great program. It will allow you to publish the route as a webpage so you can email the map/route to others that don't have the software. It is easy to use and, so far, very accurate. I've used it for several long trips.

Jeff

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I keep a "Roads of Texas" atlas with me on trips......These MapsCo atlas's have good detail down to the tiny county roads and has them labeled.
..... I got mine at Walmart. It's pretty large but fits in my trunk. I assume they have them for every state.
I have a DeLorme atlas for PA & OH (normal areas of riding being in west-central PA) that I'll use for first planning a ride. The detail on those are quite good.
Then, once on the ride, I have a map pouch w/ all surrounding state maps (thank you AAA), as well as a couple of the specific/detailed copies of some of the atlas maps. I also have laminated state maps from Wally World. Those maps have very little detail, but do have major roads, and NO rain storm will destroy them.

As long as I know which direction (N-E-S-W) I'm going, I'll usually come up on a road I'm familiar with.... eventually.
So if I get a little 'mis-directed' (not lost!!!) while riding (and I'm not on a tight schedule) I'll just keep going. I'll find my way back once I head back.
That's why I like riding with no real destination plans, and not as much for commuting.
If I'm out, and the feeling of just continuing on overcomes me, well I'm gonna keep going !! Maybe I'll turn around at the next gas stop. :motorcycl (I think that's one of the best perks of being single !! :beerchug: )

I haven't used any web based mapping except to find mileage, and maybe a few of the more detailed instructions, and my only GPS doesn't support any mapping software, just way points, points of interest (that I have to enter) and routes taken.
Guess I'm old school for using the paper maps more than cyber maps.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use ms mappoint on my laptop. works pretty good, its basically street and trips with some extra business uses. costs alot more too, company money is good. when you are in route planner you can go to options and adjust the auto route planner based on what type of rodes you want. you can also make adjustments to speed since most map programs use set speeds not knowing all the speed changes in a road. im pretty sure s+t does this too. also as some else mentioned verify the roads before you take off if you can. ms makes thier money off these by not allowing updates so new roads or road changes arent there always. ms programs will also let you connect to internet to download construction updates which can help alot. hope this helps someone.

·
Geek
872 Posts
Streets and Trips has an option called "Measure distance". Kind of like a magic marker, and you get the distance to. When you print it the marker stays.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info everybody.
I think I will get Streets and Trips.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Sccpinner, before you get it you can try out mine - i got the latest one with reciever when CompUSA was closing down.
i believe it is very elaborate software. it does most of the stuff i want as far as route planning goes (time planing, fuel stop planning, night and rest stops planing), very easy to modify route and override softwares desisions.
and it is IMO not expensive for what it is (40$ i believe)

let me know if you want to try it

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, that sounds good

1 - 14 of 14 Posts