Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there i just finished installing ape manual cam chain tensioners and got rid of the nice diesel rattle.i bought them from ape and the part number was kt1100 they were $51.65 each.it was a pretty simple install 20-30 mins. set #1 cylinder to tdc and removed tensioner. i backed out the tensioner bolt before putting into the cylinder then you tighten it till you feel it contact the chain guide.then i backed it out a 1/4 turn and started it no more rattle i then backed the bolt out till it rattled a bit and tightened it just till it quit rattling. the only thing is i had to make a small spacer and go with a longer bolt to move the coolant tank back a bit so it didn't contact #2 cylinders tesioner bolt .
:motorcycl

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they use them for race engines all the time they claim. i guess guys with the higher revving crotch rockets have alot of trouble with the tensioners. so this is suppose to fix the problem. i just didn't like the rattle i had from the chain slap especially when it was cold so i figured i would give them a try for the 20 minute time it took to install and the main thing is it doesn't have a rattle anymore sounds good now especially with the aftermarket pipes.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Manual Cam Chain Tensioner

Great Mod.

There was a short post in VULCAN VERSES on Manual Cam Chain Tensioner's made by the same company ACE. Your explanation of the mod was more complete for those of us without inside engine experience. The only way I would try this is if there were clear, well lighted photos posted
of the mod. Thanks again for the info.

Pictures of the little gem:
http://www.zxzone.com/resources/sprockettensioner/zx10.jpg
http://www.zxzone.com/resources/sprockettensioner/tensioner.jpg

Prices vary here are a couple of the best..
http://www.kzzone.com/sprockets.html
http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=3341542&showprevnext=1

Retro Rocket Rider :smiley_th

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hmm,
Seems like a pretty simple design. I might have to see if I can find some time at work and try making a couple.

Going by the basic sizes on the auto ones I should have all the dimensions I'd need.

I just finished a handlebar mount for my Chatterbox. Mostly made from bit's & pieces of things.... a ball swivel from a CD player mount, the handlebar mount from an old set of barkbusters from my dirtbike and a couple of out of tolerance parts from work. I'll try and get a pic or 2 one here. Still workin' on the highway floorboards, so the cam adjusters might be a little while.

Thanks for the heads up on the manual adjusters !!

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Hyper - I believe in you. Should be an easy build. Gypsie made her own by welding the original ACCTs, but it wasn't too pretty. If'in you make some, 'bout how much would you charge to make some more? My dieseling goes away after I get moving, but just the idea of the damage on the inside (as well as the possibility of major damage in the future) scares the bass out of me. Or was that carp?

Do you ever sleep?

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
i need a pair of these too but 51$ each?! :BLAM:
maybee i'm missing something but from a pic it looks like weirdly shaped nut and long bolt with locknut. why is it priced so high?! what am i missing?

Hyper, if you going to make some please let me know.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
check around

There are several stores selling the ACE Manual Cam Adjusters, the
price varies, some are selling as low as 45 bucks. How often do the
ACE Manual Cam adjuster have to be adjusted? and how easy is it?:motorcycl

Would like to put the Ace adjusters on, but have over 11 months on my warranty,
so I guess if I want to get rid of that rediculous Diesel ideling sound I will have to
have a KAW dealer do the job for me..

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
cegodsey said:
scares the bass out of me. Or was that carp? LMAO !!

Do you ever sleep?

Do I ever sleep ? What's sleep ?? LOL
I'm usually sleepin' when everyone else is workin' !
2nd & occasionally 3rd shift for me. No bosses to hassle ya then !! :pepper:
(and more time to work on my projects,
or as we call them at work "Government Jobs" ... you know... Hush Hush work !!)

Right now things are in the works with some homemade floorboards.
I'll try to get something going with adjusters soon. Once I do. I'll let ya's know.

Even at $45, it seems alot for all that it is, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey norsseman i have had my adjusters in a week now and been riding it every day so far and i haven't touched them yet. still quiet so far and loving it from before. also a buddy of mine just picked up a honda v45 750 supposedly the fastest production bike that year he tried to pass me on the highyway today i just cracked it and he couldn't catch me felt awesome to kick the honda.....haha

·
Registered
721 Posts
bump to hyperbuzzin

ever make those MCCT's?
just wondering.. I noticed the loud 'rattling' today.. don't like it and don't have $51, lol..

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
If you check the forum you can find how a guy converted your ACCT mounting brackets to manuel. I followed his instructions and had no problem with the installation. You may have trouble with finding the 10 milimeter bolts required to do the job. You need a 80 milimeter long bolt and then a lock nut and then I found a washer with a rubber washer attached to the washer and it was the same size as the head of the bolt that you remove to do the gimble trick. This way the oil will not leak bye the threads on the bolt at least on the back cylinder. You do have to adjust the coolent tank or carefully melt the grove in the tank to accommidate the longer bolt. The whole thing may cost about 8 bucks. You adjust them the same way as the ones you buy. Did not have to buy a new gasket, ACCT housing easily came off without hurting it, just reattached the housing after convertion to MCCT's

·
Registered
721 Posts
ok thanks.. so I need a 10 mm bolt that is 80 mm long, a lock washer, a rubber washer, and a regular washer for each side?I will look for the thread discussing the process though...

·
Registered
135 Posts
How do you get it to tdc without taking something apart??

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
As long as you don't turn or run the engine with the tensioner out you will be okay. Replace the mcct and turn in the bolt gently until it stops and tighten slightly with wrench. Start engine and fine tune if needed.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Niterider knows what he's talking about; he made his own, and they look and work just fine.

Diamond Dave got the APEs a year and a half or so ago; hasn't had to adjust 'em since they were installed, IIRC.

Jim

·
Registered
721 Posts
As long as you don't turn or run the engine with the tensioner out you will be okay. Replace the mcct and turn in the bolt gently until it stops and tighten slightly with wrench. Start engine and fine tune if needed.
ok, sweet, I might get it done here for a break between studying and exams... now to find the M8 bolt that's long enough and threaded.. I seriously need a 80mm bolt? it doesn't seem like the ACCT bolt is that long...

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
No the bolt is not that long, but this new bolt has to come out of the case so that you can put a washer and lock nut on it.

·
Registered
721 Posts
gotchya... I found Gypsy's archived site and it said they were 6mm x 1.00 mm thread pitch bolts. 26-28mm long for the rear and 33-35 for the front.. but she lost me at the tack welding? I thought I just had to turn off the bike, take em out, clean em up, put the nut, lock washer, washer and rubber washer on and then put it into the assembly, put the 'end' on it, install the whole part, and thread it in until it hits the chain, back it out slightly, then start the engine and readjust to where it's needed.. I didn't know I had to weld something?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts