Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make sure I am using the correct type of gas for my bike. I have a '97, I previously owned two scooters both 2011 and I was always told to make sure to use the highest octane on them. However, I sold them and now own my first true bike (as some of you may already know). I want to make sure that I am using the correct octane.

I read a post that it indicates to use regular and NOT high. I also read the verses and saw that it also indicates to use regular as well. I just want to double check this information as things change from time to time and I don't know how current the info is.

Thank you in advance for your input. As I have found this forum to be very useful and a lot of members help..

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I want to make sure I am using the correct type of gas for my bike. I have a '97, I previously owned two scooters both 2011 and I was always told to make sure to use the highest octane on them. However, I sold them and now own my first true bike (as some of you may already know). I want to make sure that I am using the correct octane.

I read a post that it indicates to use regular and NOT high. I also read the verses and saw that it also indicates to use regular as well. I just want to double check this information as things change from time to time and I don't know how current the info is.

Thank you in advance for your input. As I have found this forum to be very useful and a lot of members help..
All VN750 1985 - 2004....... 87 Octane

WilliamTech :smiley_th

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU William!!!

That's what I thought. I have about less than a quarter tank left now. Should I go ahead and fill up today using the 87? Or do I have to do something prior to start using the 87?

Thanks again..

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Fill up now... mixture will work out fine

WilliamTech

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I think I am about the only one that ran 93 octane in mine (all 3) and I did not have a single problem, but I also think the 87 octane as others have said would be fine, I stay away from the ethanol when possible myself, it causes problems and also ethanol does not have the energy that gasoline does, so you suffer loss of milage + performance...JMHO...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
All gas around here is "up to 10% ethanol" be it 87,89, or 93 octane.

Not sure why you needed to start another thread on this as all the info in the other thread you responded to says the same thing.

Never heard of any scooter needing 93 octane. I do know the manual to many imports can get one confused because they use a diffrent method for measuring octane overseas. I think their 91 octane fuel is the same as our 87 octane fuel. (Sorry, forget the terms for each)..... So thousands of folks see that "91" and assume it means high octane gas.

If you been running 93 for a while I'd suggest running some big doses of SeaFoam through the bike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Knifemaker my apologies about this new thread. I am new to the forum and still trying to understand how it all works. I wasn't sure if everyone reads all the threads that have had an older date or the topic might not be what they read.

I will make sure to check so it doesn't happen again. I just wanted to make sure I was getting my questioned answered.

Thanks again :-(

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
No biggie. Likely someone now will chastise me for being a "thread Nazi"

FYI. Not sure how your brower works. But on mine....Each time you visit this site it highlights all the threads that have been responded to since your last visit.... And under each heading it shows the last thread responded to and the day and time.

Some believe that to get their post seen they need to post it under "General Discussion" which is basically wrong. This topic for example, should have really been placed in the "Carbs, fuel OR exhaust" sections. . Questions about new seats or handlebars should be put in under the "Equipment" heading.......etc.....

But a lot don't seem to get this. They do bitch that we need a moderator to move them to the right place... When it would just be a lot simpler to just put it in the right place to start with.....

So don't worry about "improper posting"......you're not alone....LOL.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Knifemaker for explaining it. And I will no my best to follow the forums format.

I greatly appreciate. Thanks buddy:))

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
you will find that knifemaker is quite blunt on many things but that just how he is you have to look over his brashness cause he does give good advice most all of us members have come to grips that he is an arse but he is our arse and we dont let no one mess with him

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...omg !!!...a thread Nazi....string him up ! Hang im....tar and feather!!!!...lol

...there ya go NewRider, I messed with him....lol...as usual... ;)
....*pokepokepoke*....

I think I am about the only one that ran 93 octane in mine (all 3) and I did not have a single problem,
Pre 1990 Vulcans w/o Cali emissions can run well on 93...my 85 does. Especially if stripped of all emissions and BS. They have almost a 10.5:1 compression ratio, and if the engine is still tight, 93 works great. I had a Harley that had 12:1 comp...I could only run Sunoco 260 (think it was 98 octane)...the newer bikes, stock, with emission crap, can run regular, NP...
If I could afford the extra cost of 93, Id be runnin it...Once a month I top off with it to give the old girl a treat...

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
Again l just use that Jurrasic Park quote:

" Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should"

Yes you can run high octane n your Vulcan. It really won't run better... it won't blow up your bike. (There are those carbon build up issues but hey, that takes time)
So it boils down to putting something in your bike that costs you more and provides zero benifits over the cheaper stuff. Seems just plain silly to me to pump 93 octane gas in the tank then. But folks do silly things. ;)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Interesting...because in our dragsters, a higher octane non-alcohol, would actually clean the carbon out....

...dont tell me...lemme guess....source : "the internet" ?.....see, I speak from practice and experience...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts