Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order new tires for the bike, but before I do, I want to make absolutely sure that the tires I am about to order are correct and WILL fit when I take them to the shop to get mounted on my 2001 vn750.

I want the 110/90-19 for the front and a 170/80-15 for the rear. I am getting either the Bridgestone's Spitfire S11 or the Pierelli MT66. Both same price about 150.00 for both of them, so for the price great deal I think.

Is their anything I need to tell the shop, when they mount them, any special secret to make sure they fit properly ?? Also I had the splines lubed last year, so do I also need to tell them to be carefull of that when they are mounting the rear?

THANKS YA'LL

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I am about to order new tires for the bike, but before I do, I want to make absolutely sure that the tires I am about to order are correct and WILL fit when I take them to the shop to get mounted on my 2001 vn750.

I want the 110/90-19 for the front and a 170/80-15 for the rear. I am getting either the Bridgestone's Spitfire S11 or the Pierelli MT66. Both same price about 150.00 for both of them, so for the price great deal I think.

Is their anything I need to tell the shop, when they mount them, any special secret to make sure they fit properly ?? Also I had the splines lubed last year, so do I also need to tell them to be carefull of that when they are mounting the rear?

THANKS YA'LL
I cant say that the Pirelli or the Spitfires will fit but I can tell you that ME 880"s will fit because I put them on my bike myself. As far as lubing the splines, the only person I trust to do them is me. There have been to many stories on here about splines that were not lubed by stealerships when the were checked. Lubing the splines involves removing the final drive (differential, rear, whatever you want to call it). It is not something that is normally done when putting on tires. The only trick I can tell you is when I was putting the rear tire on, some say you need to leave the air out. I had to loosen the differential and cock it off to the side to get the tire to slip in place. IMO that would be a good time to remove the differential, inspect and lube the splines before reinstalling.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
It would make airing up and checking the rear tire easier if you had the shop put a METAL 90 degree valve stem in there.

Can't say either about fit for sure. I run Dunlops.
There isn't a whole lot of difference in size, but sometimes there might be just enough between different manufacturers.
But I wouldn't think there'd be a problem in what you choose.
Sometimes, on the rear, the larger tire may require that the air be let out to get it in place, but once mounted and refilled, it fits fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for all the info guys...I Finally made a decision...stopped by a small custom bike shop in my city and started talking. The owner offered me this deal...mount and balance a Avon Venom 110/90-19 front and a Avon Venom 170/80-15 rear, is also going to put two sets of EBC organic brakes on for me ,,,total price....404.00 includes tax. what do you think..I think it's a real fair price

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
also going to put in a METAL 90 degree valve stem that was suggested.. I will let ya'll know in about 500 miles or so...Thanks for the scuffing advice KM. just to make sure..do you mean..take it slow???and no hard braking?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thats it If you brake hard on new pads you can cause them to overheat and glaze,causing premature wear and loss of braking

·
Registered
207 Posts
Be sure to use a 90 degree valve stem which is threaded through the rim, not press fit with a rubber base like the OEM straight valve stem. I used the rubber type and developed a leak from the metal stem deflecting toward the rim under high rpm centrifugal force. I checked with the Honda dealer where I bought it and, on the Gold Wing, this stem comes with a stiffening fitting which holds it upright.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts