1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
That is pretty interesting. Think the wife might think I started cooking meth if was was out in the garage with all those chemicals. Lol

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I agree with KM. I work with chemicals and MSDS all day and part of my job is to compare comparable products from different companies. They give you an acceptable range for the ingredients because they don't want you mixing your own (what would you need them for then?). Just because you know what chemical components there are doesn't mean you know how much of each you need to achieve the desired effect. Ratios are very important because just a few extra measures of one ingredient can change the way the mixture reacts.

I say unless you have an advanced chemistry degree leave the mixing to the pros. The last thing anyone wants is their garage to blow up like a meth lab.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I mix my own because I'm cheap. I've used it in the cage and Vulcan for a year or more with no ill effects. Put it full strength in a carb on another bike and gots lots of crud out when I drained it. Does it work? Seems to. Does it hurt the bike? Don't think so. Others have used it and report positive results.

Use at your own risk.

Here's my recipe and the MSDS info:

The ingredients for Sea Foam are naphtha, isopropanol (isopropol alcohol), and pale oil (light oil). For alcohol I use the 91% stuff sold in drug stores.

By weight
40-60% pale oil (automatic transmission oil/ATF)
25-35% naphtha (Coleman camp fuel)
10-20% Isopropyl Alcohol.

Here is a good approximation:

ATF 2.25 quarts
Coleman Fuel 1.5 quarts
Isopropanol 1.5 pints

Note: this will make more than a gallon of mixture, so use an appropriate sized container! Suggest you not smoke around the naptha!

·
Registered
748 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
This seafoam thing is starting to sound like an addiction. Everything in moderation. If you need so much seafoam to keep you bike running well that you start making the s**t yourself, there is something else wrong, or you don't get enough time in the seat. I probably use 6oz. a season ... two tanks worth for good measure, and it has never been because I think there is a laquer clog in my carb(s). Bike runs great. In fact, I may go cold turkey next summer.

my2cents.

~~C8>

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
Well, I'm down to 1 and a half cans a year, which works out to 12 dollars for the year.

I spend more on cigars each month, and even more on scotch. Find a way to come up with something that tastes as good as my current 14 year old single malt (Oban) that costs less and I'm in.

Gas here is still hovering around $3.15 a gallon. Can you mix something up that will work that's cheaper than that?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Personally, I've renovated a lot of old bikes/garage finds. Seafoam has been a champ. Also, I see it as part of the PM for all my vehicles. I agree with Knifemaker, the cost isn't great, and it might save you a lot more in the long run.

Well, I'm down to 1 and a half cans a year, which works out to 12 dollars for the year.

I spend more on cigars each month, and even more on scotch.
Just the thought of $12 scotch scares me...

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Not really a scotch fan. Gimmie a nice bourbon or a good dark beer.

I'm sure you could mix up something cheaper but it wouldn't burn as clean or effectively as gas. But again I'm no chemist and I like my garage right where it is.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im gonna try it.

Gonna try it. But in my aging lawnmower first. That thing has run on everything from grain alcohol to chainsaw premix. It still runs well, but coughs and spits a bit. The perfect candidate. If it blows up, I got lots of trash-find mowers that I repaired as a backup (I repair and sell to make a few bucks, same with computers. Even my main comp now was a trashfind)...and no, I have no pride. Cant afford to. Did I lose my mind ?...heck no, I GAVE it away to someone more needy years ago...

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Can't be done. The MSDS is not nearly enough information, and some of the ingredients are not readily available. There was about a 10 page thread about this on another forum, nobody ever succeeded. I average one 16 oz can a month, for bikes only, but I have several bikes.

I don't see how homemade Seafoam could do any damage, but it is not likely to do any good either. I have run 2 stroke oil in a number of 4 stroke engines, including all 3 of my former VW bugs, to help lubricate the valves.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really ?

and some of the ingredients are not readily available
I dunno about that...mebbe where YOU live. But here in the Northeast all are easily found even in my creppy lil village of 3000. Ive had all in my house/shop for years.

Home depot has naptha in their paint section, and I used to use it when I was fabricating Corian.
Diesel/kerosene is all over the place here. (kero is a bit clearer and thinner)
High purity Isop alc is available everywhere also.
So is Coleman fuel.

Which one cant you find readily ?
Oh, I know....the scotch....lolol. Try tequillya...:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts