Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used to make/sell luggage racks for our bikes that were modeled after the original chrome Fire and Steel ones for the Vulcan 750s.

I did the first couple free hand and then built a jig to bend the racks around. It's much easier and more consistent and seems to produce a very well shaped rack.

Here's the original thread:

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18081http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18081

Anyway, I sold my two Vulcans a little while back. Without an actual bike to do final fitting on, I don't feel comfortable making any more racks. (For fear that the mounting holes would be slightly off).

Was just wondering if anyone wanted to buy my jig? I did put a bit of thought into it and this was about version 3. I had a Fire and Steel rack that I build it around, so that is the style it produces. These racks fit with the stock tool box and original or extended sissy bars. Might be nice to add turn signal relocation brackets for saddle bags?

$100+shipping (what I was charging for one luggage rack) or shoot me an offer.
Also selling a few unfinished racks in this thread ($30).

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
how much for the jig??
I am looking at getting a welder and fabbing up stuff... like engine guards and stuff... and luggage rack would be a good thing to.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Oh I see.
The way that is worded sounds like $100 is what is was asking for the luggage racks, not what he wants for the jig.

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, $100 or feel free to shoot me an offer.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Let me think about it. I am leaving for my honeymoon this week and when I get back I will see how much money I have left from the wedding.

Can I get a shipping quote to Villard Mn 56385

Thanks

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, Congrats sir!

I'll see about getting that shipping quote for you.

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can I get a shipping quote to Villard Mn 56385
According to the self-serve kiosk at USPS, Parcel post would run about $15, Priority about $24.

This weighed the jig but didn't ask about size? I haven't been able to get by the PO when they're actually open lol.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
If the jig will fit in one of their ready boxes it is pretty up front what the cost is. If you use your own box the machine walks you thru the measurements. Believe it or not, sometimes using your box and sending Parcel post is actually cheaper and gets there just as quick as Priority! Usually on Parcel it will give you a delivery window about 3-4 days later than Priority. Keep in mind these packages no matter what they are get to the same trucks, same airplanes ect. Now special handling does cost more but the time from AtoB is the same.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Hey, if someone else buys it, could u make a print on how to make one??
If im not able to buy it, I would like to be able to make my own. I have access to all the materials I should need.
Right now money is tight. We blew more money on our honeymoon to the Black Hills and Badlands than I wanted to. And we have a $625 heating bill to pay off.
I have been making and selling tuxedo stator plates, making a little extra money, but it would be nice to have another product and project to make and sell.

Im also trying to save up for a tube bender to bend and make highway bars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would be interested in one of the unfinished racks

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
7 Posts
First, I'd like to say hi everyone.

I've found this forum some time ago while i was repairing engine in my vn750 (what i've found here helped me a lot - thanks!) but 'till now i was only reading.

Now I'm looking for some info about back rack. In my country (Poland/Central Europe) it is totally impossible to get an original rack so I've decided to make one as similar as possible, so i need to ask for some help.
Could enyone give me some dimensions of the original part, please? Tube diameter, width, lenght, bending angles and so on?

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know where you can get a sweet jig to build your own. :smiley_th

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know where you can get a sweet jig to build your own. :smiley_th
Thanks for the offer :) but I have access to rod/pipe bender and TIG welder so I dont need a jig. Also I'd like to make one rack for myself, not produce and sell them. What I need are just dimensions and bending angles of the rack. Is it possible to get them, please?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts