Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do y'all think is the major cause of cupping/dishing on tires...??? I have heard different things, some say too low air pressure and others have said that it is normal wear in turns... I just know that I have always had a problem with dishing/cupping on the off center of my tires, I even bought a pretty good balance setup and really get serious with the balance even after they are mounted and balanced at a shop, I check them and add very minute pieces of weights if any imbalance is found, even check them after they display cupping/dishing and can't find a balance issue... I've had the problem with the Shadow, the Vulcans, and also my Sportster... It can't be my love for ridin the twisties, I won't accept that...lol...
Thanks, and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Underinflation, worn rear shocks, worn front springs, braking hard, and playing hard in the twisties. Cheaper tires will tend to cup faster.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You ride twisty roads with poor road surfaces? It's not always balance or inflation....

Read here:
http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html
What he said makes sense... I had heard that same thing from a pretty knowledgeable rider friend before, also the part about low air pressure accelerating the problem...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cupping on tires is proportional to the amount of wear on the bolt head on the underside of the footpeg :rockon:
But I just put a new one on the right side, should I replace the left one also, it still don't let the rubber scrub...???
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That's the same exact link I gave a few posts back....stop stealing my links!!!LOL;)
Ha, ha, yep and a pretty darn good link at that... PS-Thanks to you both, I now have the shortcut to it...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
445 Posts
That's the same exact link I gave a few posts back....stop stealing my links!!!LOL;)
Posted that link several times over the past few years..... Seems that the "tire wear" thread gets started just about as ofter as the "best oil" thread does. ;)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
cupping on tires is proportional to the amount of wear on the bolt head on the underside of the footpeg :rockon:
Seen this first hand! First curve we hit his right peg looked like a side grinder on steal at night and he was only twisting the throttle further! I have seen myself why the tires are cupping. I had the little 750 wide open and laid over far enough in the corners that the road cut all the side tits off the side of the new front tire and he still had to wait up for me at the turn offs. So old man you just bring the tire wear on yourself! hehehe

(We got to do that again sometime!)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
A note also...a tire with a hard compund will cup quicker than one with a soft compound...Ive always preferred the softer compounds especially for front, albeit they wear faster....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts